Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: newbie cuda question

Quote Originally Posted by Jackpot Jimmy View Post
    Some people recommend using single hooks on jigs, I guess so it is easy to shake off if you want to release it. Myself, I like cutting off the barbs on the treble hooks, and have no problem shaking off a cuda if I want to release it, instead of bouncing it, and getting it on the deck. However, I will only do this if it is wide open.

And like Steve said, when you get bit, DO NOT set the hook. Have a straight wind. Regarding color, I don't think it really matters when they go wide, but personally, I like using blue and white.

I don't see a problem fishing jigs with 15#, in fact, that's what I used for those 10-15 pound bonito last year, and I never lost a fish with a jig. Like it was said before, you can't bounce the logs on that.

Just my two cents from experience...

Jimmy, youre my boy and everything, you know that...but dont recommend using the lighter line for jig fishing.....not everyone has skills like you lil homie......use 25.....minimum...IMO......

Quote Originally Posted by ghetto dad View Post
    Jimmy, youre my boy and everything, you know that...but dont recommend using the lighter line for jig fishing.....not everyone has skills like you lil homie......use 25.....minimum...IMO......
    Yeah, I would recommend 25# minimum, too. I was ill-prepared for the boneheads on steroids and cuda that showed up off Newport in May of last year, and only had 15#. Nonetheless, I would recommend a bit heavier string, especially on a party boat.

And most importantly, look behind you when you cast! You will not miss the water.

Quote Originally Posted by ghetto dad
    RIckys good people.....
    WTF....When did I become more than one person???? Did I exceed the weight limit of one person and qualify as two now???? LOL

If the person's never fished for barracuda before I would NEVER recommend fishing for them with light line. Doing so would increase their chances of losing the fish. I would highly recommend AT least 20 or 25 pound mono. Once they've gotten the feel of them and if they want to try going lighter line then go for it but not in the very beginning.

If your on Moo-Moo's and throwing the iron don't even bother w/less than 25#! Almost keep the drag buttoned down! Look behind you cast out reel in....when you "feel" the jig stop KEEP tuning the handle!!! Do not swing! And with the "rope" your using you don't have to call for gaff. Just make sure as the Garr is coming over the rail put it in free spool. Good luck and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by FISH_HUNTER View Post
    If your on Moo-Moo's and throwing the iron don't even bother w/less than 25#! Almost keep the drag buttoned down! Look behind you cast out reel in....when you "feel" the jig stop KEEP tuning the handle!!! Do not swing! And with the "rope" your using you don't have to call for gaff. Just make sure as the Garr is coming over the rail put it in free spool. Good luck and have fun!
    NO!!! Lol...new guys should NEVER bounce cuda....call for a gaff on EVERY one!!!!>.....

and ricky, you know what i meant...lol

GD

I know GD....I just had to give you a hard time. It's all good you know that.

Quote Originally Posted by ghetto dad View Post
    NO!!! Lol...new guys should NEVER bounce cuda....call for a gaff on EVERY one!!!!>.....

and ricky, you know what i meant...lol

GD
    I guess I'll be calling for a gaff every time. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Odium View Post
    I guess I'll be calling for a gaff every time. . .
    lol...just sayin,,,,,unless you know how to throw one on, it could be very dangerous, to you and the other passengers...ive seen lots of BAD things happen this way with my years working and fishing on the boats....if they are alot of people, ill even have them gaff my larger ones....not worth risking injury to yourself or others when you dont have to....

GD

Instead of carrying 2 or 3 rod/reels and a tackle box onboard, just go with one 8 ft. setup for both jig and bait fishing.....25 or 30 lb test mono, no wire leaders for either jig or bait fishing. Use circle hooks.....most likely the fish won't get hooked til it reaches the corner or front of it's mouth where the circle hooks tip will catch and get a solid hookup. I've tried this method years ago when they first came out with circle hooks and it's worked great for me. Good luck and have fun!
    TTFM

Quote Originally Posted by Trout-Tuna-For.Me View Post
    Instead of carrying 2 or 3 rod/reels and a tackle box onboard, just go with one 8 ft. setup for both jig and bait fishing.....25 or 30 lb test mono, no wire leaders for either jig or bait fishing. Use circle hooks.....most likely the fish won't get hooked til it reaches the corner or front of it's mouth where the circle hooks tip will catch and get a solid hookup. I've tried this method years ago when they first came out with circle hooks and it's worked great for me. Good luck and have fun!
    TTFM
    Thats impossible for me or any of my homies to only bring one rod... We need at LEAST 4-6, huh guys!!

GD

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast