Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: newbie cuda question

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky-Ray View Post
    IMO it's more fun catching cuda on the iron with a 9ft jig stick. :)
    i agree!!!

When are you going???? Heck I'll even loan you my 9ft jig stick if you want and then you can go to town on the logs.

Quote Originally Posted by samgann93 View Post
    i agree!!!

+2 Yes that's a great feeling......a 45 getting stopped during a retrive.

Quote Originally Posted by FISH_HUNTER View Post
    +2 Yes that's a great feeling......a 45 getting stopped during a retrive.
    exactly. even better on a 10ft fishing for yellows. thats a rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky-Ray View Post
    When are you going???? Heck I'll even loan you my 9ft jig stick if you want and then you can go to town on the logs.
    Can i borow it RR? Ill return it next winter!

Quote Originally Posted by victor101 View Post
    Can i borow it RR? Ill return it next winter!
    Sure. Come and get it. I've got an extra stick.

RR we dont know each other but you always seem to reply to stuff I post on here, I would really like to get out and fish with you sometime.. We are doing a private charter in Aug for a 3/4 day if you are interested?? Let me know.. My cousin already did the contract and we dont think he knows what he is getting into so my bro in law and I are trying to help anyway possible...

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoaster View Post
    RR we dont know each other but you always seem to reply to stuff I post on here, I would really like to get out and fish with you sometime.. We are doing a private charter in Aug for a 3/4 day if you are interested?? Let me know.. My cousin already did the contract and we dont think he knows what he is getting into so my bro in law and I are trying to help anyway possible...

THe good thing about Ricky being on a trip with you is that he wont take up ANY rail space...he just chills in the background and snacks ALL DAY~!~!
    RIckys good people.....

ANyways, all the advice above is excellent, ill add a bit:

1. When fishing the iron, and you get bit, do NOT set the hook...KEEP WINDING STEADY!! One of the reasons for this, especially with cuda, is a LOT of times, they grab your jig from the side....if you KEEP WINDING, the jig slides through their teeth slightly, and youll get em in the jaws...if you set the hook, you most of the time will pull the jig out of their mouth.

2. 25 lb test should do you fine throwing Iron, unless you feel more comfortable with 30. The problem is, the heavier the line, the more your jig will "float." That makes it very difficult to fish a surface iron, especially if their is any wind.

3. Steel leaders are great, but also be aware, that if the cuda arent WFO, and they are being picky, you will have less chance too hook one with a wire leader..they can see it a mile away, for one, and also, you will lose ANY "natural" presentation with your live bait.....

i think thats it...have fun

GD

Quote Originally Posted by BabyKiller View Post
    nobody really said to try sliding sinker rig. use a 1/4 to 1/2oz egg sinker and a cheapo mustad hook. let the fish eat it in freespool for a while. bam cheappppppp cuda
    all else fails. penny swimbaits> wut ever u do, leave the steel leaders at home. people will laugh at you
    you forgot the part where after he lets the fish eat it for awhile, after "bam" the next sound will be "POW!" breakoff...lol...

if you are going to baitfish, get some 2 and 2/0 LONG SHANK stainless steel hooks.....you will have a much better chance at the fish not totally swallowing the hook....and not chewing the line...

GD

basically, leave it at this....do NOT fish bait, unless you absolutely have to!!! just throw iron...youll be better off....

Some people recommend using single hooks on jigs, I guess so it is easy to shake off if you want to release it. Myself, I like cutting off the barbs on the treble hooks, and have no problem shaking off a cuda if I want to release it, instead of bouncing it, and getting it on the deck. However, I will only do this if it is wide open.

And like Steve said, when you get bit, DO NOT set the hook. Have a straight wind. Regarding color, I don't think it really matters when they go wide, but personally, I like using blue and white.

I don't see a problem fishing jigs with 15#, in fact, that's what I used for those 10-15 pound bonito last year, and I never lost a fish with a jig. Like it was said before, you can't bounce the logs on that.

Just my two cents from experience...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast