Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: newbie cuda question

Default newbie cuda question

never really fished for barracuda..

im planning on using 15lb big game line.. some metal jigs and i think the boat may have live bait?

i read somewhere that they'll bite leadheads with rubber swim bait tails??

should i pick up more metal jigs or more leadhead/rubber tail .. metal jigs are pretty expensive and i heard barracudas often cut the line with their teeth..

also any rigging tips would be appreciated.. dropper loop with 3 ounce weight like for bottom fishing wouldn't work right?

thanks

Personnaly all i throw for the cudas is jigs. blue and white is my favorite. they are a little pricey but well worth it. i havent had a problem with cudas cutting the line because the hook is on the back of the jig so usually they dont swallow the bait all the way. you can throw the swimbaits for them but IMO its not nearly as fun as throwing the iron. if you pick up a couple in blue and white or chrome and blue itll be on. 15lb will be fine you just wont be able to bounce them on the deck.

if you are worried about getting the jigs bitten off ive heard of people using metal wire leaders. i havent done this but with how aggressive the cudas are i dont see why it wouldnt work.

good luck out there,
    S.G

first off dont fish jigs with 15lbs use at least 30lbs. if you plan on using live bait for barracuda try using long shank hooks match the size of the hook to the size of the bait. 3/0 for sardines and 2'z for anchovies with out any weight (flylined). hope this helps!!

There are several way's of fishing for cuda's

Live Bait.
    Most likely flyline a live bait. You would definitely want to use a wire leader. The cuda's teeth are sharp and can cut the line. Alternatively you can try using a circle hook too. In theory the hook should go into the corner of the mouth preventing them from cutting the line with it's teeth.

Plastic Swimbaits.
    These will work also. I've caught a few with them. Be prepared to lose or change out the swimbaits quite a bit. They teeth will do a number on the plastic.

Iron/Jig
    IMO the best way to fish for them. Blue/White, Scramble Egg, Black/White or silver, have worked well for me. If they are on the surface just cast out and as soon as it hits the water start winding back in.

Fishing 15# is ok if you want to fish lighter gear but if your going to be on a cattle boat I would suggest at least 20 or 25#. You can get the fish in the boat faster and if the school is on the move you won't waste time getting the fish in and letting the school get away from the boat.

thanks guys

where would i get wire leaders??

should i buy an inshore 7footer and throw on a baitcaster i use for freshwater with 20lb line??

i was thinking about bringing my 6.6med w/baitcaster i use for freshwater.. i don't mind since its one of my cheaper rod/reels

other than that i have two el cheapo spinning combos for ocean fishing.. you know.. the 7footer combos for like 40 bucks

You should be able to get wire leaders at any tackle shop. Up to you if you want to buy a rod for the cuda's. If your only planning to go after them this one time it might just be better to rent the gear or if you can borrow someone else's heavier salt gear.

I've caught a few cuda's with the cheapo wally mart ocean spinning gear and it worked just fine.

thats what i have.. cheapo walmart spinning ocean combos..

im sure they'll work but i wonder if i pick up a 7foot heavy inshore rod and pair it with one of my freshwater baitcaster ill have a better time fighting the fish..

not to mention casting the jigs farther

IMO it's more fun catching cuda on the iron with a 9ft jig stick. :)

would said jig stick be in the fresh or salt section of bps :D

and can i use a baitcaster for freshwater for this??

Quote Originally Posted by silversx View Post
    would said jig stick be in the fresh or salt section of bps :D

and can i use a baitcaster for freshwater for this??
    Jig sticks would be in the salt section of the BPS...They have some cheapo jigsticks there that will get the job done. I would use a conventional instead of a baitcast reel...Unless the reel u have in mind is loaded with 30# line and u feel confident using it to pull on 10#+ fish.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast