Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need vegetable recipes! Heart healthy ones!

Default I need vegetable recipes! Heart healthy ones!

Right, I have been told my cholesterol is sky high - effective today I'm changing my eating habits (tonight it's poached salmon with vegetables and salad).
    BUT, I need tasty, healthy, low cholesterol and low sodium recipes so I can get my cholesterol levels down to a point where I don't medication.

C'mon Team57! Rally round and give me yummy ideas so I don't get bored of skinless chicken with brown rice & steamed veggies!

Wifey and I steam everything. We use crushed garlic and basalmic vinegar in the water. It just takes steaming to the next level.

Our favorites are zuccinni, artichokes, and red potatoes cut up. Anything is great though. I love califlower and she LOVES brocci-flower. Use Butter Buds or Molly McButter on them.

This rocks!

Another thing I LOVE is wild rice cooked in chicken broth. You can get wild rice in bulk at Winco. I have heard it's at Trader Joes, too.

I love eating healthy. I have a great love for raw baby spinach too. Try it.

One last thing. The highest fiber food out there? Apples. No kidding. Eat a lot of them, and blueberries. They are high in anti-oxidants.

Have you heard of the SWAB diet? It's spinach, winter squash, apples and blue berries. You can eat other stuff, but these combined contain the best fiber, anti-oxidants, and other great stuff, that your body needs. They are combined to be called "Super foods" for this reason.

I like to put some olive oil in a pan and add sliced zuccinni, yellow crook neck squash, diced onions, garlic, & some Mrs. Dash Salt free seasoning and stir fry it. I will have some bow tie pasta ( or any kind of pasta ) going at the same time. When Veggies are done to your liking , I put the pasta on a plate then place the veggies on top.
    Last edited by Troutman65; 05-19-2009 at 05:58 PM.

Hello Sue.

Try pan frying cabbage. Heat skillet w/ oil & garlic. Add cabbage, black pepper and a bit of chicken stock. Cook till soft and wilted.

Another take on squash.

Heat skillet w/ oil & margarine, add squash (any type or mixed), pepper & garlic powder & chicken stock. Cook till softened.

My wife & kids like these recepies @ home & outdoors. Enjoy

LOL @ spotted dick!!

Here's a "vegetable" for you Sue (I think, not 100% what this really is): http://www.vegemite.com.au/vegemite/page?PagecRef=1

Quote Originally Posted by Cangler View Post

You English folks.

long string beans with some black pepper and a lil teriyaki sauce is good in a frying pan.

also some green onions in foil with some garlic and butter. grill them on the bbq.
    [IMG]http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1952/osiitoavatorat7.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/6360/38134035pg5.jpg[/IMG][img]http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/8875/28244273hx0.jpg[/img][img]http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/4591/trophiesal2.jpg[/img]

hey sue... i was once in your boat and brought it down alot with exercise as well as changing my diet. a good veggie recipe is fried green beans with garlic.

-fresh green beans
    -minced garlic (i usually buy the one in the jar with the juice in it)
    -olive oil
    -sea salt
    -pepper
    -basil
    -green onions (scallions) use the white tips

warm up the pan with olive oil about 3 teaspoons
    then add about 1 1/2 teaspoons of minced garlic
    then add the about 1/2 teaspoon of basil
    then add the scallions, use as much to your liking, i usually use 2 nice stripps and cut up the white part
    once the garlic starts to brown add a pinch of sea salt and pepper
    then add the green beans.

cook the green beans for about 2 minutes, dont over cook, you want them still crunchy and not soggy.

enjoy

great thread sue!!! down w/ zocor (my prescription)!!! long live good (healthy ) food !! keep the recipies coming....*grabs notepad and cooking apron*...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast