Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver Lake trip 5/15-5/17

Default Silver Lake trip 5/15-5/17

Well decided spur of the moment to hit the sierra's for a family trip with my wife and 4 year old son. The wife is 7 months preg. and thought it's now or never for them this year! Plus my wife and 4 year old son have never been.

Friday: On the road @ 4am and got to Jack's in Bishop by 8:30am. Had an awesome breakfast and back on the road headed to the loop. Got to Silver Lake at 11am. Checked into our cabin, unloaded, got the family settled in and we all headed down to the lake by around 2pm. Lines wet from 2pm - 6:30pm for absolutely nothing. Ran through just about everything I had. Inflated crawlers, 8 colors of pb on 16-18" leader, power worms, lures, you name it. Quite a few people on the lake for the same, saw maybe 2-3 fish brought in. Talked to a few guys in the tackle shop and on the lake that had fished from June up to Lee Vining and all had the same story....SLOW. Okay.... not a great way to start off the trip, dad can't get anybody on any fish and alot of bad news. Plus for my 4 year old, patience is not a virtue quite yet. As we decided to call it a day and head back to the cabin I noticed a nice little spot about 25 yards west of the inlet that nobody was on. The inlet was packed, guys fishing all over each other and still not catching anything. (I've never understood that, the whole d*mn lake and people have to fish on top of each other.) Anyway went over and checked out the spot and saw only 6-7 feet of shallow water to a nice deep drop off. Looked like a great spot and had a plan in place for Saturday morning.

Saturday: Hit the sopt and lines wet by 5:30am, fishing a inflated crawler w/ power egg on 20" leader and cartreuse pb on 20" leader. Within 5 min. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz fish on! for a 1# bow. 10 min later zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz for another 1#'er. This went on over the next few hours. By the time my wife and son met me at the lake at 9am I had my limit. Set them up and they both were on the fish for 2-3 each. By this time we had the attention of most everybody that was in sight. It was pretty funny to hear guys talking about my 4 year old out fishing them.

Sunday: Hit the same spot with same set up and had my limit by 9am again with my big fish only @ 1.3#. All were small bow's and even a few holdovers which was nice, tried to release most of the dinks but had to keep a few small one's that were injured. but a handfull safely released. Have to say that it was tough finding the fish and leader length was really critical, but once we were on it, it was non-stop. No big ones but consistent fishing which made this into an awesome trip! On the road back home by 10:30am (argh...would love to stay for a few more days.)

Silver Lake

Took this picture from the "spot"

Teaching the little man

bendo for the little man! Had to give him a little help with this one as he had already farmed 2 and was pretty bummed.

Chocolate milk and powder donuts, breakfast of champions!

Thanks for the post. Love the pic of the 4 year old with the chocolate milk. Good luck with the new addition to your family.

Awesome report Brother! That's an experience your son will always remember. You had the best of both worlds, fishing the sierras and you were with your family. Congrats on the upcoming baby.

Great job out there with the family.Beautiful pics. That powder doughnut
    moustache says it all.lol

Way to be Dad.

awesome pics...thanks for the report....looks like a blast with the fam !!!

Thanks guys, it was a blast. FYI to anybody heading up over the Holiday weekend. 395 is jacked up due to construction, north side closed from Independence to just about Bishop. Have to drive on south side (1 lane) and long stretchs of 35MPH. Leave early and don't speed in the 35MPH. lots of cops hiding to bust you!

THAT SAY'S IT ALL.... I CANT WAIT TILL MY BOY CAN HOLD HIS OWN ROD.
    GREAT PICTURES AND REPORT KEEP THEM COMING.

Good on you Dad!!

Seems like yesterday that my son and I bent lines together when he was a young`n.

May you enjoy many more years of bendo's with your son!

PS...love the little man's T-shirt!!!!

Geezer

great report with the pics alone tells it all , good job dad .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast