Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Topwater/Boil Action Tips

Default Topwater/Boil Action Tips

Most will agree that topwater fishing, especially during boils is the most thrilling type of fishing there is. I agree! lol.

Usually Striper and LMB in places like Castaic or Pyramid Chase around Shad/Trout/Bass Fry and have a method of getting the baitfish by pushing the up on the surface and they attack. While at attack they break the surface and sometimes whack the shad out of consciousness and start eating them!

There are many lures and baits to use depending on what the fish are boiling upon. Shad or Trout are really good examples of what Topwater Lure patterns will work or not work. Sometimes they are not picky so any color may work. Lures like Zara Spooks or Poppers are excellent for topwater action. Topwater lures are supposed to create commotion on the surface thus tricking fish into thinking its the target during a boil.

The common and preferred method of using topwater lures is by creating the "Walk-the-Dog" motion. By doing that type of retrieve you make the lure splash and make an injured like fish movement.

*The way to do it is by twitching the tip of your rod up and down, just like you would do when you are jigging just a little more eratic.

*A lot of people twitch it from the side as well kinda like dropshotting, again more eratic.

*Speedwise, It varies by how hardcore the action is. The more WFO the faster I might walk-the-dog... I usually do it at a rate that the fish might be able to grab it, about moderate fast. Dont do it too fast though, many fish will miss it.

*Also, Use the right size. Sometimes they may only be eating smaller baitfish, sometimes bigger. I usually use something in the 4" type size and skinnier body, a great example would be the 4" KPN Mini-Shad. But again it may depend what they are eating but to me thats the best compromise there is!

Lastly, Don't limit topwater fishing to only Boils! Me and my Dad have caught several fish in flatwater, even before or after a boil.

Lures or Baits that may or WILL Work but not limited to:

• Zara Spooks
    • Poppers
    • Whole Sardines/Anchovies flylined during a boil
    • Flukes or Tubes like Zooms, commonly used on DS or jigged
    • Lucky Craft Sammys'
    • KPN Mini/Larger topwaters
    • Spoons, i.e Kastmasters Krocodiles

These are some examples of lures that may work:
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...&currentpage=1

Preferred Tackle/Gear:
    7' M to MH rod (7'2+ MH would be best for me)
    Minimum for topwater lures 10lb test... Best would be 14-17lb test.
    For flukes and smaller topwaters 8 would be about standard.

My typical Set-ups:
    *7'3" Carrot Stix MH w/ Daiwa Sol 2500 and 10/12lb test Mono.

*7'6" Offshore Angler(BPS) Inshore Series and Shimano Sahara 3000 w/ 15lb test.

*7' Shimano Crucial MH w/ Shimano Stradic 4000 w/ 1/2 30lb braid,1/2 14lb test.
    Last edited by GeordyBass; 10-20-2009 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeordyBass View Post
    Most will agree that topwater fishing, especially during boils is the most thrilling type of fishing there is. I agree! lol.

Usually Striper and LMB in places like Castaic or Pyramid Chase around Shad/Trout/Bass Fry and have a method of getting the baitfish by pushing the up on the surface and they attack. While at attack they break the surface and sometimes whack the shad out of consciousness and start eating them!

There are many lures and baits to use depending on what the fish are boiling upon. Shad or Trout are really good examples of what Topwater Lure patterns will work or not work. Sometimes they are not picky so any color may work. Lures like Zara Spooks or Poppers are excellent for topwater action. Topwater lures are supposed to create commotion on the surface thus tricking fish into thinking its the target during a boil.

The common and preferred method of using topwater lures is by creating the "Walk-the-Dog" motion. By doing that type of retrieve you make the lure splash and make an injured like fish movement.

*The way to do it is by twitching the tip of your rod up and down, just like you would do when you are jigging just a little more eratic.

*A lot of people twitch it from the side as well kinda like dropshotting, again more eratic.

*Speedwise, It varies by how hardcore the action is. The more WFO the faster I might walk-the-dog... I usually do it at a rate that the fish might be able to grab it, about moderate fast. Dont do it too fast though, many fish will miss it.

*Also, Use the right size. Sometimes they may only be eating smaller baitfish, sometimes bigger. I usually use something in the 4" type size and skinnier body, a great example would be the 4" KPN Mini-Shad. But again it may depend what they are eating but to me thats the best compromise there is!

Lastly, Don't limit topwater fishing to only Boils! Me and my Dad have caught several fish in flatwater, even before or after a boil.

Lures or Baits that may or WILL Work but not limited to:

• Zara Spooks
    • Poppers
    • Whole Sardines/Anchovies flylined during a boil
    • Flukes or Tubes like Zooms, commonly used on DS or jigged
    • Lucky Craft Sammys'
    • KPN Mini/Larger topwaters
    • Spoons, i.e Kastmasters Krocodiles

These are some examples of lures that may work:
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...&currentpage=1

Preferred Tackle/Gear:
    7' M to MH rod (7'2+ MH would be best for me)
    Minimum for topwater lures 10lb test... Best would be 14-17lb test.
    For flukes and smaller topwaters 8 would be about standard.

My typical Set-ups:
    *7'3" Carrot Stix MH w/ Daiwa Sol 2500 and 10/12lb test Mono.

*7'6" Offshore Angler(BPS) Inshore Series and Shimano Sahara 3000 w/ 15lb test.

*7' Shimano Crucial MH w/ Shimano Stradic 4000 w/ 1/2 30lb braid,1/2 14lb test.
    Dayam !!!!!!

Not a bad attempt indeed young grasshjoppa but you have many cracks in your info, I don't want to discourage you from hlping others but I'd definately suggest you get some more topwater fish under your belt b4 you start schoolin'...

plus....don't put me out of work !
    Ha ha ha ha....Me thinks I got a photo 4 you !

Quote Originally Posted by gletemfeelsteelgary View Post
    Dayam !!!!!!

Not a bad attempt indeed young grasshjoppa but you have many cracks in your info, I don't want to discourage you from hlping others but I'd definately suggest you get some more topwater fish under your belt b4 you start schoolin'...

plus....don't put me out of work !
    Ha ha ha ha....Me thinks I got a photo 4 you !
    Yay!
    It's a tip, starting point not a whole lesson. These are great ways to start boil hunting!!!

what is wrong with this picture.....

wait for it....wait for it....

Wait for it.........................
    Wait for it.........................

Ok.......ok....ok....

cutbait Guest

Gay ordy. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
    Gay ordy. Lol

ahhhhHHHHH the wonders of AVATARS!!!LOL

go back to the striperfest bakokids,,,lol,,,

Quote Originally Posted by GeordyBass View Post