Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Alondra Park (South Bay) Observations

Default Alondra Park (South Bay) Observations

I live close by now and grew up fishing at this place. It's changed a lot since the late 70's early 80's. I notice that the fisherman have also changed. There are some who are way more sophisticated and there are some just looking to catch dinner. All good though...we all enjoy it the same.

I was out there the other day walking around the lake. I did have my rods and a little bit of tackle with me but the conditions just didn't look good. I don't know what it is but I think the County needs to ease up on the Blue Stone (Copper Sulfate) treatment and get the locked up county inmates back out in the row boat to scoop the moss out like they used to.

I did see some folks with a bucket full of trout and nice sized bluegill which was great to see. I know the trout are stocked, but I haven't seen a decent population of gills in there for a while. Aside from the trout harvesting and the few bluegill, I think that was about all that was biting.

Just as a side note, there was a post about a gar that was caught and released back a few weeks ago...well...that was at Alondra. I've seen the thing in the lake. It didn't want what I had to offer, but it is in there. Alondra has been notorious for having weird stuff like oscars, turtles, and now gar in it. I don't think as a park lake it poses any threat to other bodies of water, but it sure could mess up what fish they have in there...or at least used to. If you do catch it...I would suggest you kill it. I wouldn't want it killing off all the panfish and bass just for the sake of having one or a bunch of those things in there.

Good luck everyone...

Darin

Quote Originally Posted by hookup90247 View Post
    I live close by now and grew up fishing at this place. It's changed a lot since the late 70's early 80's. I notice that the fisherman have also changed. There are some who are way more sophisticated and there are some just looking to catch dinner. All good though...we all enjoy it the same.

I was out there the other day walking around the lake. I did have my rods and a little bit of tackle with me but the conditions just didn't look good. I don't know what it is but I think the County needs to ease up on the Blue Stone (Copper Sulfate) treatment and get the locked up county inmates back out in the row boat to scoop the moss out like they used to.

I did see some folks with a bucket full of trout and nice sized bluegill which was great to see. I know the trout are stocked, but I haven't seen a decent population of gills in there for a while. Aside from the trout harvesting and the few bluegill, I think that was about all that was biting.

Just as a side note, there was a post about a gar that was caught and released back a few weeks ago...well...that was at Alondra. I've seen the thing in the lake. It didn't want what I had to offer, but it is in there. Alondra has been notorious for having weird stuff like oscars, turtles, and now gar in it. I don't think as a park lake it poses any threat to other bodies of water, but it sure could mess up what fish they have in there...or at least used to. If you do catch it...I would suggest you kill it. I wouldn't want it killing off all the panfish and bass just for the sake of having one or a bunch of those things in there.

Good luck everyone...

Darin
    i agree!!! one fish (or more) isnt worth the damage it can do to the fish that belong there. joe

I live nearby also and tried fishing for trout a while ago; however, I ended up catching 3x catfish instead on trout powerbait.

I always watch my back in that place, there seem to be many vagrants meandering around. Its also a jehova's wittnesses hotspot if you like being pestered by them.

It seems like a nice "local" lake; however, it is filthy.

SOMEONE catch the gar and take pix!!!!

theres actually 2 alligator gars in there...3 footer and a even bigger 4 footer....jehovah witness while fishing are the worst come up to me and their going in the water!!!