Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Legalization

Default Legalization

Ok, seeing its the day that many ppl turn to marijuana, I'd figure Id ask your opinion. Legalization of drug(s) or not? Let play nice here ok? It'd be nice to hear some rational arguments and statements, not some emotional gook and ad-hominem bs. This is my take. Feel free to counter:

I believe all drugs ought to be legalized. I am not a user and never will be. I despise drugs, and find them quite pointless. I wont poison my body with them. However, if there is one thing I know we cannot do in a country, its control morality. We cannot, IMHO, use law to control the morals of the American people. Morality in this issue ought to be the obligation of religion, not of law, and law and religion ought to be separate. Quite frankly, I dont care if you choose to smoke. I wont. I dont like it. But I refuse to tell you how to live your life, and refuse to support a government that will.

Before someone goes on a rant, let me speak further. Legalization has its benefits, if you ask me. It would decrease the demand, first and foremost. With a decrease in demand, drug violence in Mexico would likely fall. Im not saying it will disappear, I doubt that will ever happen. But it would certainly take away much of the immense power the cartels hold. Deny it people may, but our future is irrevocably intertwined with Mexico's. If they descend into utter chaos, only trouble can be brought to bear on the American people.

Second, it keeps kids from selling to kids. Make it available through a pharmacy, and suddenly drugs dont look so cool. Regulate the hell out of it and tax it. Use the tax money to help create more rehab centers and safe houses. Think of the money you save alone from dismantling the DEA and other such agencies. Drugs in America's youth are popular because they are illegal. Legalize something, and suddenly its not that cool to smoke anymore.

Legalization could and would likely mean regulation. Im all for drug regulation. You know why? Id rather have the heroin junkie coming to the pharmacy getting an amount that wont kill him or her. Id rather see a cocaine user getting the amount that won't cause an instant OD. Will people still try it? Of course. Thats not my point. But lets look at it this way. If you can't defeat them fighting against it, why not ally and work to make it safer. We've tried for 30 plus years to fight drugs in America. Sure, there has been a decrease in drug use. But the decrease has stopped and has been for many years now. The results are micro-scale to the amount of users. So tell me, why are we controlling morality?

Remember, no need for emotions. This is just my 2 cents

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!

Next.

Quote Originally Posted by hughpam View Post
    ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!
    Agreed! How dare people legalize something that has been known to be bad for your health!?!?

(Please keep cigarettes and alcohol legal though.)

Legalize drugs? How are we as country doing with alcohol and cigarettes?

ok. i hear you. but maybe some explanations, some logic. why would you say "absolutely not" ?

Quote Originally Posted by dockboy View Post
    ok. i hear you. but maybe some explanations, some logic. why would you say "absolutely not" ?
    This should prove interesting.

Drugs legal? I honestly dont think they should make drugs legal...If anyone read the Bussines section of the latimes today there was an opinion article in witch specifies good reasons why....yes Marijuana is a cash crop and was a cash crop before the crackers made it illegal cuz they were in danger of losing there incomes and busnisses. Witch was and is lumber. Hemp should be legal. so many great things come from Hemp...getting offsubject...how bout you make ciggs illegal cause we all know there is proven death...and the tax can be raised every year and smokers will not stop buying...marijuana...f*ck you lapd chief. keep drugs illegal and yeah...bust the drugdealers...hey maybe the house nextdoor to urs is a medical marijuana garden....

HAPPY 420!!!!

If you dont have a point or something with logic to say dont post. I didnt put this here to cause issues, just to hear some logical opinions. Thank you.

Legalize pot and prostitution. Then tax it, and lower or normal taxes back down. 9 freakin' percent?! Are you kidding me? Now I really won't buy anything in Cali.

News Flash: In California IT IS LEGAL (all it takes to get you medical marijuan card is a hundred bucks and acess to Google Maps) and as far as I can tell NOT DANG THING HAS HAPPENED- NO DOGS SLEEPING WITH CATS, NO CRAZED TEA-HEADS RAMPAGIING WITH MACHETES, NO WHITE FOLKS UN-CLENCHING THEIR A**ES AND LETTING WESTERN CIVILIZATION GO TO POT (PUN INTENDED), etc., etc. So, what's the point? Who's smoking weed and why ranks at the very top of my list of stuff I don't give a flying F about.

to digress slightly; IMHO a "war" on drugs is no more winable than a war on earth quakes. time to view the situation with some maturity. People take drugs - the idea that our present law enforcement stance on them is somehow holding back a tsunami of drug use is unproven and unprovable. How 'bout lets take a deep breath and say "Okay, we know what happens when we do A, so let's give B, C and maybe even D a try." Consistently performing the same action and expecting a different result is insane. I'm not saying we should stock the vending machines in Jr. Highschools with black tar heroine... but we should have intelligence- or rather, common sense - enough to look at the drug problem(s) from outside of the prisim of desperation and utter panic which has painted public opionion for the last fifty years. people do drugs becuase the drugs work. that's never going to change. what can change is our reaction to this fact.
    Last edited by City Dad; 04-20-2009 at 04:48 PM.

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast