Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Good spinning reel

Quote Originally Posted by FISHINGBEE View Post
    Are you a salesrep just wondering.

FISHINGBEE
    Nope.
    Just your average economic minded fisherman. That stuff is cheap and works good if you pay attention to it's condition. That may or may not mean you have to change it often, depending on how you use it.

Besides, they'd probably have me plugging gulp or something more current.

I went to corona lake today and finally got to use my new set-up.

Heres my opinion on it:

1. while i was setting it up and after tieing on a kastmaster i casted out, The kastmaster took off like a bullet and just didnt stop literally and came off my line. I figuered this damn fluroline didt hold the knot well so i tried again this time with a thomas bouyant and after 3 casts the same thing. I guess i need to get used to tieing perfect knots with this flurocarbon line. The line felt really smooth and soft like it was coveered in loting or something LOL i wasnt use to that feeling at all and was hard to work with at first until i got used to it. I kept Breaking the line when tieing my knots to the lures good thing it would bust when i was tieing the knots and not when i casted out or i would have lost alot more lures.

Overall i give the line a 6/10 until further notice and use it a little more.

2. Second up is my new reel The Shimano Saros 1000f. All i can say is WOW i have never bought a reel upgarde and always used the reels that came with the combos I bought. I never knew what I was missing out on. This reel cast so smooth with little effort, Even when I was just trying to toss my lures out a few 5-10 feet they were shooting out waaay farther. It took me a few cast to get the hang of it after that it was all gravy. The drag worked very well also. When i hooked up on my first trout i had to let the fish run with it for a second while my cousin got the net and it work really well.

I give the Saros 1000f a 10/10

3. My new G-Loomis rod was nice to use. It was really light and comfortable.the hadle it fit me really well. The reel fitnicely in the handle and felt really good in my hands. they only thing i was bothered by was its size. I bought this reel to mainly fish on shore with & its pretty long at 7' it was just a hassle rigging it up on the boat with so many kids and not alot of space to work with. Everytime i was tieing on new lures i felt like removing the top piece to rig it to save space but it was all good. Kept missing my hook sets i think im not usd to feeling all the nibble like i was and was getting to excited and trying to hook the fish way to fast instead of letting them bite the lures a little more its going to take me a little getting used to.

I'll give the rod a 8/10

I know with a little more time with it fishing from the shore the rating will move up to a good 10 i gave it an 8 cause of the size of it and how hard it was to set-up in tight spaces other than that its a 10

Glad to hear you like the reel.
    I have a few UL loomis rods and I find them a little light for lure fishing. Even lost a golden trout and several nice browns and bows on one up in the Sierras.

I ended up getting something a little stiffer. That berkley tactix drop shot rod at walmart (6' version not the 5'6" ultralight) is killer for the money and gets the hook set great. If you get lucky it will say $50 on the rod itself but when you take it up for checkout mine came out to $13 bucks! (and the sku was actually correct!)

Best rod for $13 I ever bought. you might try one at that price just to see how it feels. Gets the hook done on the bass and the trout with ease. Makes me sick I use it more than some of my Loomis ultralight rods but it really gets the hook in better. I save the loomis rods for special small creeking applications now. Your 7 footer loomis should have some backbone to it though to get hooks in and let you cast very far.

Also, make sure you wet your line with some spit or water when you tie your knots. Otherwise they'll heat up when you sinch them down and break easy Use the Palomar knot. It has double line bracing.

Try some good light wire hooks on your rig. Go to Walmart and grab some "Gamakatsu Split Shot/Drop Shot" and "Owner Mosquito" hooks.
    These will do you for bass and trout. Get size 2 (not 2/0) for the gamakatsu's for bass plastics and size 8 to 10 or 12 mosquito hooks for the trout baits and trout worms.
    This will make it easier for you to get the hook set. For lures, make sure the treble hook on it isn't huge and thick, you can toss some pretty small lures with that setup with small trebles on them. Also, fluorocarbon can make you feel like you are setting the hook too early, since it has minimal stretch and you feel every little bump =D

If the lures are snapping off, you are either using too large/heavy of a lure for your line rating, or it's a bad knot.

The more you fish your new combo, the more you will get used to it. It should do you good all over socal.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 04-19-2009 at 06:19 AM.

Yea i got some Gamakatsu drop shot worms, I actuallt caught my one & only fish with a drop shot yesterday.

Also, make sure you wet your line with some spit or water when you tie your knots. Otherwise they'll heat up when you sinch them down and break easy Use the Palomar knot. It has double line bracing.

I didnt know this about wetting the line first i'll definitly try this next time out. I was using the palomar knot but i know now it was cause i wasnt wetting the line. It kept busting at the knots when I would sinch them down

If the lures are snapping off, you are either using too large/heavy of a lure for your line rating, or it's a bad knot.

The lures i were using where the smallest kastmasters u can use. The thomas bouyants also. It was defintly cause of the knots I think when i was sinching them down a little to much and making the line have a little breakage at the knots I'll be a little more careful with my knots next time around.

Thx alot TackleJunkie you been helping me out alot.

The kastmasters should not be busting off. The smallest Bouyants though, are 1/6oz and would be better suited for 4lb, even though I do fish them on 2lb. For the heavier weights on a UL rod and 2lb, you need to lob cast instead of whip casting. I personally don't like the feeling of 2lb fluoro lines, so I use Izorline XXX and have had only one breakoff(spottie rubbed me up against some mussels on a dock).

With the smaller spools, you need to be careful about the line twist. Copoly line, like the XXX, has less memory than fluoro line and ties perfect knots. Lubricating knots is a HUGE factor in knot tying. If not, the line gets dented or curls up like a mofo.

You'll love the Saros, but it seems like you're kinda picky about your rods, so for the price of a G. Loomis, you could have a rod custom made for yourself. I too, don't like the action much on G. Loomis blanks. It's a little too slow for me. I would recommend a Phenix Ultra MBX 700l dropshot blank. Best blank for dropshotting and can be used for your kastmasters and Bouyants. Besides, trout season is almost over and my guess is that you're probably gonna use it to dropshot for bass.

I might use it a little for bass. I dont really do any bass fishing, I have never had anyone show me the ropes. I grew up fishing for trout using power bait & catfish with stinks,Mac, and shrimp so my knowledge isnt very good with bass

Although im fishing for trout using alot of small lures trying to get the technique down using them,I know its not the same with bass but ill give it a try drop shotting since im pretty new to drop shooting. I guess I have to do it as much as possible to get it down .

The rod is rated at 4-6 so i dont think its heavby enough for bass anyway.

You should try dropshotting for bass, otherwise very soon you're
    expensive trout combo is gonna be sitting in the corner.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456