Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Good spinning reel

I think a Plfueger Trion GX will do you good. It's strong and inexpensive. I've been using it for 4 years now and it has ceased to fail me yet.
    Last edited by Ifishtoolittle; 04-14-2009 at 10:26 PM.

If you ever get 200yds of 2lb line spooled by a trout, then come over to my house and kick me in the nuts cause you never will.

That being said, go with the Saros 1000. You will not be disappointed.

"I think a Plfueger Trion GX will do you good. It's strong and inexpensive. I've been using it for 4 years now and it has seized to fail me yet."
    I think what you were trying to say was ceased?...lol
    Last edited by calico killer kevin; 04-14-2009 at 10:23 PM.

Yea thinking of going with the Saros. Whats the big jump though from the Symetre?

Besides the $20, the Saros has Paladin gearing, spare aluminum spool, septon grips, waterproof drag, and better looks. I can justify paying the extra $20 just for the Paladin gearing or spare spool.

The Symetre still feels great. I also prefer the lighter weight on that 500 sized reel. It just depends what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by The Angler View Post
    Wow thx alot i thought the 2500 would be good. I didnt want something 2 small i fish corona lake alot and usually catch trout at about 5-6 lbs so i was thinking of getting a little bigger reel that had higher rated drag.

The 500 does looks sweet though.

$4.00 off dude come on. I can probably get like $20.00 bucks off at BPS.

Whats the real Difference in the Saros & Symetre besides the size ?
    i can go $90. If you can get $20 off at BPS then i'd say get it there. Remember tax is now like 9% i believe.
    just offering.. good luck with whatever you purchase. I myself have a Saros 1000F, i'd highly recommend that too.

Pflueger, Shimanos, Daiwas....they're all good quality at the mid to higher range in terms of cost.

The key is: what are you planning to do with your gear?

Personally, I learned a long time ago that when you fish along creeks and rivers, you tend to break and bend stuff. (Car accessible lake fishing, especially Socal, not so much) Consequently, I don't spend more than a hundie for a reel/rod.

Likewise, it's been my observation that quite a few SoCal guys buy very high end rods and reels, just so they can lay them in pole holders to soak bait at a pay lake. LOL

Lures on the other hand....that's the expensive stuff in the long run!

Saros 1000 is a nice solid and smooth reel.
    I use mine on bass and trout lite line 4lbs fluorocarbon.
    Good drag to keep me from breaking off and good bearing arrangement.
    I find myself using it about as much as some of my higher end stuff, but mostly because that stuff is (works best with) 6lb line and greater.

Lite line has been paying off lately.. and it's even funner to give the fish a better chance IMO. Takes 5 minutes to land a 4lb fish on 4lb line.

Using the reel on a cheapo $13 walmart berkeley tactix light action 6' drop shot rod. (not the UL 5'6" version)
    Treating me good for what I spent on it. No breakage yet and seems to get the hook set fine with good light wire hooks.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 04-15-2009 at 08:20 AM.

The improvements that the Saros has over the Symetre are worth the price increase. Te sapre spool, sealed drag, and paladin gearing result in a much nicer reel. Don't worry about power or drags at all. Most high quality spinning reels have more than enough drag for the light lines you fish for trout. Getting spooled, as CKC said, is not an issue either at the pay lakes.

A personal problem I have with spool sizes smaller than 1000 is memory and casting distance. Once you go down past 1000, your line starts coiling and twisting a lot more, and your casts get shorter because of the small spool. This is really noticeable if you ever use 2lb flourocarbon. A Saros 1000 has a 500 size body, so in terms of compactness the difference between it and the Symetre 500 is the spool size.

You can find a Saros 1000 for $105 on ebay right now. Go get one!

Quote Originally Posted by bsp View Post
    The improvements that the Saros has over the Symetre are worth the price increase. Te sapre spool, sealed drag, and paladin gearing result in a much nicer reel. Don't worry about power or drags at all. Most high quality spinning reels have more than enough drag for the light lines you fish for trout. Getting spooled, as CKC said, is not an issue either at the pay lakes.

A personal problem I have with spool sizes smaller than 1000 is memory and casting distance. Once you go down past 1000, your line starts coiling and twisting a lot more, and your casts get shorter because of the small spool. This is really noticeable if you ever use 2lb flourocarbon. A Saros 1000 has a 500 size body, so in terms of compactness the difference between it and the Symetre 500 is the spool size.

You can find a Saros 1000 for $105 on ebay right now. Go get one!
    Hell yea u hit it right on the money another reason i wanted a bigger reel is cause of the casting differences. i will mainly be doing nothing but trout fishing with this reel and i have had problems with my cheap reel not casting the Thomas Bouyants far at all.
    So i went with the longer rod & wanted a reel that was going to cast my Very light lures farther than 10 feet out lol

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast