Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to fish from a boat for bass, catfish, and trout?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    One rule of thumb I learned when bass fishing, is if you can see the fish, the fish saw you 5 minutes ago, and may be most likely spooked.

I take locations that are given to me by unknown sources with a grain of salt. One thing I've learned is that people keep their locations on the down low....

That's the beauty about bass fishing. Sometimes, the fish will be biting one specific thing, and tomorrow they won't. Don't think that there is an end all be all of baits that'll get fish on the boat. You may have wanted to try other baits and presentations as well.

Aside from knowing how to swim?...

The biggest thing to realize is that the boat is not stationary. If you are not constantly taking care of any slack line, you may miss subtle strikes because it is not being telegraphed back to the rod because of the slack line created with the movement of the vessel.

Also, you need to focus on keeping the boat in areas that hold fish. I know when I've gone out on a boat without a trolling motor, getting quality casts in the spots I was focusing on was nearly impossible since I had no control of drift.

As far as catfish and trout? I wouldn't know...all the trout I've caught there were accidental and were aggressive little buggers who decided to eat drop shot worms. I'm sure someone will chime in for those 2 species.

Heck DarkStain,
    Will you take me fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishtaco View Post
    Heck DarkStain,
    Will you take me fishing.
    PinkTaco,

Only if you place nice in the parking lot after the guide trip.

--DarkStain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12