Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abalone trips this spring '09'

Default Abalone trips this spring '09'

JUST A QUICK NOTE on the Abalone season is here now and a trip is planned for the North Coast of calif. [ mendicino co. ] Our next trip is april 25-27 , and maybe may 9-11 ,23-26 and maybe again on some dates in june . All trips are only happening IF GOOD WEATHER is up there but if you ever wanted to go and give it a try [ 600 miles one way , 10 hours ] and don't mind COLD WATER , the area is just awesome and your invited . state campgrounds with hot showers is there for the family campers . I might have room for 1 in my truck with One-Leg being the other guest already invited , or fallow us up in your rig . The local dive shop has everything needed for a dive for a rental fee of like 35.00 doll. TIMES ARE TOUGH NOW but you only live ONCE and with the great whites up there you never know how true that is , lol lol // db
    Last edited by diamondbear; 04-17-2009 at 09:01 PM. Reason: wrong milage

Default Im in!

Certified diver, working onshore dive #300! maybe ill save it for this trip! Own all my own gear and have transportation for myself up there, just shoot me a pm with any more info you can provide. Thanks!!

Default distance

850 miles one way , 10 hours ????????

Snorkels only,tanks are not legal for abalone. It's a blast but know the regs and be careful,the fines are unreal and the state needs the money. I started out just rock picking on the lowest tides,didn't even have to get in the water but now venture into shallow water and find it easier to find legals.
    I'm 7 hours from Mendocino but on the other end of the state. If you get into some urchin,try it. I couldn't believe how good it was. take the ones that have bright roe and cut the others in half as they compete with the abs.

each one of those weekends works perfect for me! what campground was it that you guys stayed at?

Jared , I was hoping you could make it up there , were staying at McKarricher State beach in Fort Bragg on hwy. 1 [ about 2 hours north of frisco on hwy. 101 to the town of Willits and turn west on hwy. 20 , like 22 miles to bragg and go north a couple miles ] I'll pm you and keep you updated . check out a cool website , abaloneten.com and check out all the cool short videos on everything about abalone . // steve

Wow I didn't know Fort Bragg was the hotspot for those things. I been to McKarricher a few times while living in northern cal it's is a great park and it should be nice in the summer. I wish I could join you guys. By the way if you guys want to drive inland a little bit past Willits there's Clear Lake and the fishing can be exceptional.
    Last edited by steelhead; 04-15-2009 at 08:15 PM.

hows the camping there? should reservations be made far in advance?

When does abalone season end?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast