Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dr. greenthumb calling dr. greenthumb

Default dr. greenthumb calling dr. greenthumb

well since ive been laid off and being at home all day gets pretty boring especially with no money..but to keep me busy i start
    ed a lil garden. i wanted to do a herb garden but turns out my defention of a herd garden and my moms defention is 2 different things hahaha j/p

anyway heres a few pix of what i got so far...i have monoglobe tomatos, tomatos called (mr. stripey) there yellow with red tiger stripes (only reason i got them) and cherry tomatos. also have 4 strawberry plants, the worlds hottest habenaro pepper, and thai hot chilli peppers... i plant to get cantalope and the competition pumpkins me and a few buddys are strating a wager to see who can grow the biggest pumpkin it should be fun

habenaro pepper

tomato tamoto

strawberry

strawberry 2

and i went and bought more and came home and made a lil spot for them..

Very cool! I hope it works out for you! I tried to start growing tomatoes and herbs last year, spent about $100 on planters and seeds and stuff....yeah...soon gave up on that!
    Seriously though, keep us updated on the progress - I got as far as srpouting and am not even going to attempt it this year. That's why Gator has a proper garden and knows how to utilize it to grow salad food for me for summer!

haha ya so far its working i have 2 strawberries that are almost ready to pick!

Nice!

Ok here is a tip on those tomato plants that I have learned from experience. DO NOT FERTILIZE UNTIL IT HAS GROWN THE ACTUAL TOMATO. I fertilized the plant with a nitrogen based fertilizer and the plant itself grew HUGE without growing many tomatoes. I asked the gardener what was going on and he said to wait until the plant has actually bared tomatoes until you fertilize.

Goodluck with the project man! Looks like you are in for some nice fresh peppers too.

I grow a few veggies and fruits myself. If you allow your strawberries to get ripe on the plant you may need to put a bird screen over the plants. The birds will not touch my berries until the get red but as soon as they are ripe the bird harvest starts. Do not touch your tomato plants or fruit after smoking unless you wash your hands first. That is a lesson that I learned from my grandmama who worked at Park Seed for many years. It appears that she may have been right because my plants do much better since I took her advice. Just to help you in your hobbie Home Depot was carrying blueberry bushes that are grown for Ca weather. I bought two of the blueberry bushes and they are loaded with blooms.

Cool!!!
    I have a crap load of space and was thinking of doing a garden also...

Decided I have way to many critters around, Cotton tails, Jack Rabbits, Ground squirrels, tons of birds of all kinds, Quail to Hawks....

Thought maybe I would put up some Garden food for the wild life instead.. They would eat it all anyway, and this way I could watch them and not get mad.....................????

Sort of like a big Animal & Bird feeder????

Tomatoes are prone to dem big green fishbait tomater caterpillars.

thanks for the tips guys! ill defently keep them in mind... i know 2 of my strawberries are almost done maybe a day or 2, defently gonna keep a eye on the birds! home depot here i come lol blueberries would be sweet!

nessie a destraction might do the trick! never thought of that... i dont have to many rabbits or critters runnin around...have some gophers but they mainly stay in the front yard havent seen them in the back yard yet... i want to try some indoor fruits with a grow hut you can control the humidity and pretty much everything so if ordered i can proly grow fruits like kewis and other goods... ill keep you guys updated on the plants progress!

Nice garden!
    I'll have to admit, the title had me going. haha.
    What will he be on to next!
    Save me a pepper yo!

Indoor fruits & grow huts... I luv a good kiwi... so green and tasty

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast