Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Fishing Equipment to buy in Canada?

Default Fishing Equipment to buy in Canada?

Hi,

My family is currently taking a trip to Canada. Are there any Canada specific fishing equipment that we don't have access to in the States that would be a great buy?

Default Regards to Canada

Save your money and spend it in the States. Canada is one big ripoff for fisherman with U.S. currency.All the good equipment is made down here anyway. 30 yrs of border experience taught me allot.

Quote Originally Posted by low dsrt jon View Post
    Save your money and spend it in the States. Canada is one big ripoff for fisherman with U.S. currency.All the good equipment is made down here anyway. 30 yrs of border experience taught me allot.
    not exactly... I went to BPS in Canada and bought $125 worth of items. When I checked my bank statement, it only charged $117 USD

While it's been a few years since I've been back to Windsor, Canada (in-laws live just outside Detroit), I do stock up particularly on spoons for trout and kokanee. Seems the Canadians have access to a heck of a lot more patterns and sizes.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by sansou View Post
    While it's been a few years since I've been back to Windsor, Canada (in-laws live just outside Detroit), I do stock up particularly on spoons for trout and kokanee. Seems the Canadians have access to a heck of a lot more patterns and sizes.

Just my 2 cents.
    I would have to agree with sansou on this I was in quebec this last summer, great fishing by the way caught my fill of smallies and rock bass (looked like spoted crappie), but every sporting good store i went to had spoons, spoons and spoons. Also dont know if you brought any fishing gear with you, but if you buy a fishing permit its good for the whole family (last i checked), That sold my wife on letting me fish and we had a great time fishing (when she didnt' have anything planned of course)

With the exchange rate - i would get the stuff here.

Where in Canada? I would think a lot depends on the current exchange rate, but it may make more sense to buy locally to get the patterns and action specific to that area. I fish in BC a lot which is primarily river fishing, and guys tend to use really long rods for salmon and steelhead that are hard to find here.

Also sometimes it's best to purchase terminal tackle locally as you can buy the one lure that's working, even if it's overpriced, rather than a discounted box of ten that aren't.