Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: removing spool from shimano baitcaster

Default removing spool from shimano baitcaster

need help, want to do a bit of maintenance but the spool doesn't want to come out, seems like I have to force it unlike the BPS reels.

First time cleaning the shimanos and I don't want to force it out. help?

what model is it?

on the curados and citicas it just pops out

this one is my chronarch 50mg

It should just come out pretty smoothly. Don't force it, you may cause some damage. It may be possible that the line is between the body of the reel and the spool lip. Tolerances are so tight that an obstruction like the line may be holding it in still. Turn the handle and see if that is blocking it. Other than that, I don't have a clue. =/

Quote Originally Posted by That Dang Guy View Post
    It should just come out pretty smoothly. Don't force it, you may cause some damage. It may be possible that the line is between the body of the reel and the spool lip. Tolerances are so tight that an obstruction like the line may be holding it in still. Turn the handle and see if that is blocking it. Other than that, I don't have a clue. =/
    i removed all line

You must use force in order to get the spool to come up. I have a curado 100D and I usually force the spool out.

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchop5420 View Post
    You must use force in order to get the spool to come up. I have a curado 100D and I usually force the spool out.
    got it! thanks porckchop, i used the force lol

haha no problem. Have fun cleaning and tuning up your reel. I tuned up my curado and it is much better than it was brand new.

Check out Shimano's website. They have pdf's on reel maintenance and also a few other things that might come in handy on maintenance of shimano reels.

Reel Maintanence Instructions - http://fish.shimano.com/publish/cont...tructions.html

Reel Schematics - http://fish.shimano.com/publish/cont...chematics.html

They also have a reel maintenance video in their video section too. - http://fish.shimano.com/publish/cont...ideo_test.html