Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trout - Line Setup

Default I love the CK's

You just squeeze the CK and it slides up and down your line (needle nose works fine) ... allowing you to instantly adjust how far you are off the bottom. I also like to cut off my hook and trash it at the end of the day if it's been used a lot. I then slide the CK up to the end so I have not leader sticking out ... allows me to wind it all the way up to the top. I guess you could also use a hook bonnet on the end if you wanted to save your hook. The biggie is that I only have to string out my leader and I'm either ready to fish ... or just tie on my worm or treble hook and get at it. Simple and quick. No swivel, extra knot, etc. as mentioned.

MAXIMA all the way its the only line I will use for trout. You can most def. get away with 6pound test and use 4 or 2 pound leaders. I usually use 4 pound and its never let me down.

Quote Originally Posted by jim532 View Post
    I like the idea of the carolina keeper. Ever tried the carolina keeper instead of a swivel when fishing fly & bubble on spinning gear?
    Yes I do not use swivels anymore unless if it with a lure set up.

Quote Originally Posted by craznazn View Post
    What is a carolina keeper?
    If you didn't go to the link, it is a small piece of urethane that you put your line threw to create a leader without having to use a swivel. It keeps your sinker from sliding and you can adjust your leader length to whatever length you want by moving the keeper up or down. This way you don't have any weak points on your line.

Carolina Keeps works for 4 lb line but in the really tough fight it could break off on 2lb line.

I use the keeper most of the time on 2lb. however if the line is older I will just use a BB i believe or the smallest size split shot weight under my larger 1/16 to 1/4 ounce weight and squeeze it enough to hold but not too tight where that will cause the line to break off.

I like to keep my line fresh but sometimes it is not always possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutslayer620 View Post
    If you didn't go to the link, it is a small piece of urethane that you put your line threw to create a leader without having to use a swivel. It keeps your sinker from sliding and you can adjust your leader length to whatever length you want by moving the keeper up or down. This way you don't have any weak points on your line.
    Thanks...I went to the link...interesting. Would a small split shot work as well, but as you've mentioned, a weak point may be created on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFish View Post
    Carolina Keeps works for 4 lb line but in the really tough fight it could break off on 2lb line.

I use the keeper most of the time on 2lb. however if the line is older I will just use a BB i believe or the smallest size split shot weight under my larger 1/16 to 1/4 ounce weight and squeeze it enough to hold but not too tight where that will cause the line to break off.

Never mind....lol....

Cuda 2lb. test is the best line.It's really thin and has the strength of 4lb. test....My favorite line ever.
    10lb test is overkill,even 6 is a little heavy.

Setting the hook with 2-4 lb "leader" and 10 lb mainline, you would surely break your line often when setting the hook or reeling in a fish......just MO

GD

Quote Originally Posted by DaFish View Post

The difference is that the CK and split shot is that the CK does not create a "weak spot" in the line when used correctly. It never slips on 2lb line unless you use a weight over 1/2oz.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast