Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trout - Line Setup

Default Trout - Line Setup

Lake Fishing from the shore:
    Is it acceptable to use a heavier line (e.g. 10lb) on the main line, and then use a 4lb
    fluorocarbon leader. Or will the main line have an affect on the trout?

10lb? i never use anything bigger than 4lb. main line with a 2lb leader. if your worried about breaking the line... just buy good line. i use izorline xxx 2lb. or p-line cxx 2lb. ive caught 15lb trout and never worried about breakage.

No problem, you could do that...????

BUT:
    Problem is Trout fishing is normally a very light Terminal tackle rigging..
    Casting ultra light rigs with 10# line would prove difficult.......

In ultra clear water that would still spook the trout. I'd go with what Vanillagurilla said for line choice. 4lb is fine for tossing Kastmasters, spoons, and the mainline on bait rigs, but you should use 2lb mainline for mini jigs and a 2lb leader for bait. As Nessie said, casting ultra light weights (1/16oz) with 10lb would be very difficult.

I fish for Trout all the time, i have even caught an 18 lb Rainbow. I use 4lb PLINE Halo Fluorocarbon line or 4lb Trilene professional fluorocarbon. It is strong enough to stretch and not break right away, and it is nearly invisible in the water. I also use a carolina keeper to hold my sliding sinker. Yes you can use a leader, but what I have found is that you create a weak point in you line when you have the line connected at 2 points. Hard hitting trout will snap the line right away. With the carolina keeper, you have no weak point because you don't separate the line. I have caught over 100 trout ranging from 1lb to 6lbs in the last month and only had my line snap a few times from the fight. Also I have tested Fluorocarbon line versus Mono and hybrid mono using the same set up and bait, side by side and I have out fished the others by 3 to 1. The line works and i am now convinced it is worth the money.

I still love my braided spectra power pro line. It has a 1-2lb mono diameter and I mate it with a 2-4lb fluorocarbon leader of 3-8'.

The 8lb power pro is 1lb diameter and the 10lb is 2lb :D and it casts similar to those line equivalents in mono (ie 1-2lb) but it has the strength of 8-10lb.

It also can stay on your spool 5-10 years as long as you take care of it-ie rinse it from time to time. It also has NO stretch and I have caught limits on it so far...I got 10 last sunday and like 8 a few weeks ago.

Fishing with Kastmasters and spinners, I use 4lb. test P-Line fluorocarbon. If the fish aren't cooperating with lures, I can switch to soaking PB. Just slide on a egg sinker, tie on a swivel, tie on a 2lb. test leader and small treble and you're set.

For mini jigs and flylining Lip Ripperz, I use 2lb. test P-Line fluorocarbon for my main line.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutslayer620 View Post
    I fish for Trout all the time, i have even caught an 18 lb Rainbow. I use 4lb PLINE Halo Fluorocarbon line or 4lb Trilene professional fluorocarbon. It is strong enough to stretch and not break right away, and it is nearly invisible in the water. I also use a carolina keeper to hold my sliding sinker. Yes you can use a leader, but what I have found is that you create a weak point in you line when you have the line connected at 2 points. Hard hitting trout will snap the line right away. With the carolina keeper, you have no weak point because you don't separate the line. I have caught over 100 trout ranging from 1lb to 6lbs in the last month and only had my line snap a few times from the fight. Also I have tested Fluorocarbon line versus Mono and hybrid mono using the same set up and bait, side by side and I have out fished the others by 3 to 1. The line works and i am now convinced it is worth the money.

I like the idea of the carolina keeper. Ever tried the carolina keeper instead of a swivel when fishing fly & bubble on spinning gear?
    Last edited by jim532; 05-06-2009 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jim532 View Post
    I like the idea of the carolina keeper. Ever tried the carolina keeper instead of a swivel when fishing fly & bubble on spinning gear?
    What is a carolina keeper?

Quote Originally Posted by craznazn View Post
    What is a carolina keeper?
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...T&cmid=PP_P2_1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast