Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchor anywhere at Newport Harbor?

Default Anchor anywhere at Newport Harbor?

Hey guys, I've save up enough money to buy a 12' inflatable boat and put on a 6hp outboard. I was thinking fishing at nph and Huntington Harbor. Can I just anchor in the middle of the harbor to fish? I'm thinking of fishing near the outlet but never got that far because I'm afraid the water might be too rough. Have any one ever gone out that far with a small boat? I'm asking these question because I never been on a boat except for the one I just bought and are clueless about the boating world. Any advise would be great! Thanks!

Why do you want to anchor? drifting and fishing covers more ground. Also, if you are anchored, and have to move for some reason, maybe in a hurry, you have to pull in the anchor. I am not sure on anchoring in the channels. I believe you cannot obstruct vessel traffic in the harbor entrances.

there's going to be a current, or drift most of the time caused by the tide going in and out. you can just cruise along with the drift and use your motor to get back to where you started. a trolling motor may be a wise investment. stay inside the harbor until you're a little more familiar with your craft. some guy on here swamped himself and had to swim for an hour or something so its the real deal out there.

Default Fished a guy out of the bay with small boat

True you cannot anchor in side the mouth of the harbor legally. Some do on slow traffic days and don't get hassled but most days the sheriff will stop and have you pull anchor.
    We recently assisted a boater who was testing his small boat to see if he could take his kids in the harbor. He was near the jetty across from the bait barge. He moved in his boat when a wave from a passing boat hit him broadside and flipped him and all his gear into the water. He grabbed his life jacket and was able to hold on to the boat until we we pulled him out. The sheriff came buy and flipped his boat upright and baled his boat for him

My suggestion in a small boat is to fish around the moored boats and around the islands. Plenty of fish in the harbor. Stay away from the outlet.

just stay inside the harbor. theres plenty of fish around.

Thanks for the advise guys. I was just afraid I might drift into other boats. Are you able to fish anywhere in the harbor? Is stopping in the middle of the harbor ok?

Default yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by lurk 182 View Post
    there's going to be a current, or drift most of the time caused by the tide going in and out. You can just cruise along with the drift and use your motor to get back to where you started. A trolling motor may be a wise investment. Stay inside the harbor until you're a little more familiar with your craft. Some guy on here swamped himself and had to swim for an hour or something so its the real deal out there.
    that would be me. :( .bro ... Trust me ... Stay inside the dayamn harbor... No need to even get close to the mouth.....

Go to the lake a few times so you have the boating thing down your first time you don't want to be broken down in the middle of the channel on a weekend with power boats and sail boats trying to go around you. Good luck.

Bigred

Thanks. I'm planing on going to lake Perris on spring break. So far Ive taken it on Newport Harbor and Huntington Harbor but never stop to fish because its feel like you're stopping in the middle of a road or something and the harbor patrol going to tell you to move. That's why I wanted to get out near the mouth because there is a large space, no fear of big boat running you over. I attached and image of where I wanted to go but is guess its too dangerous.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	11266  

Quote Originally Posted by minhthn View Post
    Thanks. I'm planing on going to lake Perris on spring break. So far Ive taken it on Newport Harbor and Huntington Harbor but never stop to fish because its feel like you're stopping in the middle of a road or something and the harbor patrol going to tell you to move. That's why I wanted to get out near the mouth because there is a large space, no fear of big boat running you over. I attached and image of where I wanted to go but is guess its too dangerous.
    Your map shows Anaheim Bay not NPH. If that was your intention, ok.
    BUT..... Anaheim Bay has a naval weapons depot there and if you were to try and fish in there, you'll probably get harrassed by the navy guys with big 50 cal machine guns on the bow of their boats. NPH might be safer than that type of situation. Just sayin'.......

Good luck with your decision on where to fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast