Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "The Pipe" 3/20 (pics and video)

Nice bass .... pretty sick boil vid.

-j-

thanks for all of the comments guys... my dad and i always have a ton of fun when we fish together; and it was nice to get into a good bite like that...

answers...

Quote Originally Posted by TShaffer View Post
    Very nice bass. How far out were you guys fishing?
    we were about a mile off of the north end of newport...

Quote Originally Posted by San Felipe Bob View Post
    What kind of fish-o meter do you use?
    SFB... just last year, we upgraded to a Furuno FCV620. we had a similar Furuno unit that was much older (which was very hard to part with as sometimes the older stuff is much better), but this unit is amazing. When fishing in <100ft of water, i like to use it in "dual frequency mode". this allows you to see two different size cones at the same time to determine whether fish/structure are directly under you or just close. With much practice, this mode allows you to identify where hard bottom meets sand/mud even without depth change. i rarely use "bottom lock" mode because it can only be used with one frequency at a time and i feel like it is less accurate on the whole. just know that without bottom lock on, that very small mark near the bottom could be a very quality fish.

Quote Originally Posted by CalamARI View Post
    Nice bass, sweet set-ups too.
    thank you very much... each of these set-ups was a significant part of the paycheck, but opting to pay a little more for quality really pays off when you use them a lot. on our way out, my dad and i were actually talking about how far we have come on the equipment side of things. i remember when i was much younger, fishing with my dad out of a soft bottom zodiac, throwing worm kings at boiler rocks with $30 shimano fx spin set-ups. weird that that entire set-up is about the cost of some of the braided lines i use now. but the point is, it took us a looooong time to get to this point and we learned a lot about equipment along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by j-DuBb View Post
    Nice bass .... pretty sick boil vid.
    thank you... it really is special to see that much life all in one area... we almost got pooped on!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12