Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "The Pipe" 3/20 (pics and video)

Default Went North Outta Newport 3/20 (pics and video)

headed up the line outta newport friday... got dad a new spinning reel (daiwa coastal 2500) for his birthday and just the thought of using it got him wanting to go fishing... so we grabbed the open water gear and looked to do some sandybass bouncin...

fished some high spots in deeper water as we were getting better meter marks out there. it was honestly r-tard fishing for a bit, which is good since pops casting a baitcaster is painful to watch. i was basically the guide; watching the meter and telling dad when to drop and bounce it off a fish's head. cool to be able to see a sandie take a swimbait in 80ft of water on the meter... so good at one point that we could meter a single fish mid water column and then be able to catch it or at least get it to bump

pics...

my big fish went right at 6, dads went at 4.5... fun stuff for this time of year

all on the 5" Pearls smothered in hot sauce in natural colors (clearer water)

My Rig:
    Reel - Shimano Curado 300DSV spooled with #50 Daiwa Samurai and a short (6') 20# Seagaur Premium leader
    Rod - Custom Wrapped Phenix Black Diamond 808 ("Sick Nasty" is the only way to describe this rod)

Dad's Rig:
    Reel - Shimano Calcutta TE 400 spooled with #20 Big Game and a short (6') 20# Seagaur Premium leader
    Rod - Custom Wrapped Shikari SW 868 (if you have the chance to buy this blank, do it... no matter the cost. i got mine from Phenix at the 2007 Fred Hall Show)

oh, got a few zips on the soaked mackerel (hoping for a big croaker) but they were only interest hits as the baits came back with a crushed head and thats it... nothing would commit to really taking a bait... great signs of life out there right now; tons of bait, good meter marks, and all sorts of mammals... check the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPQFFbzjiSs
    Last edited by baybassboy; 03-22-2009 at 04:24 PM.

Default Nice!

Very Nice, Nothing like running five miles from the house for action like that, looks like to much fun...

nice bass out there!

Nice bath of bass, that vid is very cool....great to see all that action this time of year!

TD

Very nice bass. How far out were you guys fishing?

Hi baybassboy,

Most excellent grade of fishy. WTG getting out with dad. Do it as much as you can ...

JapanRon

Some day I will get my new/used meter down to be that good!!!!

Thanks for the report.

Steve

Default Meter?

What kind of fish-o meter do you use?

Good job on the big ones.

SFB

Nice bass, sweet set-ups too.

Nice sandies. Cool video. Things are starting to happen in the salt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast