Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: newport wedge jetty

You need a license at rip-rap rock

Quote Originally Posted by Redkorn View Post
    Ya you do....only on the pier do you not need one....Jettys and rocks you will need one. He was really not doing his job but he was with in he right to. But he should have better things to do then acting in place of a game warden.

If your fishing in NPH expect to be checked by NP PD, NP Animal Control, Lifeguard, Harbor Patrol, and DFG. They ALL have the right/power to and should up hold the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Dog View Post
    Depends on where you were fishing on the jetty. You don't need one on a jetty per fish and game regulations, however, the definition of a jetty is rocks having water on both sides. The way the Wedge jetty is built there is rock rip-rap on the harbor side from the last house on Channel until the actual "jetty" starts where you have ocean on one side and harbor on the other side.
    This goes for any other no license jetty (ex: 72nd jetty). If you fish on the rocks by the lifeguard station, you will need a license....

Were you on the Jetty oe the sand while you were watching the surfers?

Thank god they checked!!!! I have fished and surfed that area for years and watched countless short calicos, sand bass, and even garabaldi being taken from that area. I wish they would post a fricken officer there permenatly.
    Not all of the above is as bad as the lobster poaching that goes on here!! I have dove at the wedge and seen the lobsters there. Pretty hard to get to for the most part. But the dam poachers (not hop netters or divers) get them big and small and take every dam one of them out in back packs and such.
    Also it would break up the little squabbles between the boogie crew and skimmers. What is with skimmers anyway?
    As for the jetty YOU DO need a liscence. The only thing I do believe you do not need a liscence for are the Piers and Public Docks located throught Newport Harbor. When I worked at Longfin Tackle I saw a guy get a ticket for no liscence, several short bass, short halibut and several garabaldi? The guy was a newbie but ignorance is no excuse for the law? And he was fishing Newport Jetty.
    Moral of story: Just pay the $50 for the fishing liscence and go fish! Your butt is covered (unless you go over limits, fish off limits etc..) so no worries on tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by VineAssist View Post
    As for the jetty YOU DO need a liscence. The only thing I do believe you do not need a liscence for are the Piers and Public Docks located throught Newport Harbor.
    Ok, let's mislead everyone so they'll get tickets...I guess I'll have to quote the regs...again...

from page 3 of the reg book...

license Provisions
    Anyone 16 years and older must have a fishing license to take any kind of fish, mollusk, invertebrate, amphibian or crustacean in California, except for persons fishing from a public pier in ocean or bay waters. A license is required to take reptiles, except for rattlesnakes.
    A sport fishing license is valid for a calendar year. Additional stamps and cards are required to fish in certain areas or to target certain species. Anglers who are not required to have a sport fishing license, such as anglers who are under 16 years of age, anglers who will be fishing from a public pier in ocean or bay waters and anglers who will be fishing on Free Fishing Days, are required to have report cards to fish for: abalone, spiny lobster and sturgeon.
    Now...the trick is you have to look at the definition, under the regulations, of what a "pier" is...page 25 & 26 of the reg book...
    Title 14 Section 1.88 California Code of Regulations
    Public Pier. A public pier is a publicly owned man-made structure that has the following characteristics: is connected, above the mean high tide, to the main coastline or to the landmass of a named and charted natural island; has unrestricted free access for the general public; and has been built or currently functions for the primary purpose of allowing angling access to ocean waters.
    Additionally, publicly owned jetties or breakwaters that are connected to land, as described above, that have free unrestricted access for the general public and whose purpose it is to form the most seaward protective boundary of an ocean harbor are public piers. Jetties, breakwaters, promenades, sea walls, moles, docks, linings, barriers and other structures that are not the most seaward protective boundary of an ocean harbor, are not public piers.
    So, by that definition harbor mouth jetties, such as the Wedge or CDM jetty (because their purpose is to form the...
    most seaward protective boundary of an ocean harbor)
    fall under the definition of a public pier and therefore no need for a license. As for the public dock throughout the harbor, you do need one on those because they are not connected, above the mean high tide, to the main coastline so they do not fall under the definition of a public pier and you do need a license. In fact, due to the possible confusion between the license provisions and the Title 14 Section 1.88 definition the City of Newport Beach posted signs on each of these bay front piers, in three languages, stating that a fishing license is required.

So, short answer, no license on Harbor Mouth jetties and ocean front piers. License required everywhere else.

Even shorter answer...just go buy the damn license and don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Dog View Post
    Even shorter answer...just go buy the damn license and don't worry about it.
    I see your point, but the police should be more educated on this. I personally don't like wearing my license if I don't have to. Either you're wearing it around your neck and it's flapping around in the wind, or it's pinned onto your shirt and every time you put on or take off a jacket you have to re-pin the license. If I'm totally within my rights fishing somewhere without my license and I get ticketed and have to waste all my time clearing it up, or even just getting hassled, that's complete BS. Let alone the fact that the judge might be an a-hole and side with the cop in court.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin310 View Post
    I see your point, but the police should be more educated on this. I personally don't like wearing my license if I don't have to. Either you're wearing it around your neck and it's flapping around in the wind, or it's pinned onto your shirt and every time you put on or take off a jacket you have to re-pin the license. If I'm totally within my rights fishing somewhere without my license and I get ticketed and have to waste all my time clearing it up, or even just getting hassled, that's complete BS. Let alone the fact that the judge might be an a-hole and side with the cop in court.
    Well, since it wasn't you that posted the original "beef" and Lightline still hasn't actually said where he was fishing how do you know the cops was wrong? I'm willing to admit he may have been wrong but Lightline will have to enlighten us first. Everybody on here bi*ches about the DFG not checking people and why doesn't the local PD check and now someone gets checked and automatically the cops wrong, an A** hole or whatever. I guess the law is okay for everyone else except you and your buddies, right?

If I'm totally within my rights fishing somewhere without my license and I get ticketed and have to waste all my time clearing it up, or even just getting hassled, that's complete BS. Let alone the fact that the judge might be an a-hole and side with the cop in court.[/QUOTE]

Uhhh, I dont understand. How are you with in your rights fishing with out a license? DO you mean fishing somewhere that does not require one?

I honestly dont see what the big deal is to people to have to show their license when asked by DFG or any other Peace Officer? If they did not go around asking to see, how are they supposed to know which people dont have a license? Which is why we wear them now. The idea is that if you dont display a license, then maybe it is because you dont have one. I dont wear my license, unless I am on someone elses boat and the captain tell me to do so. I have been asked by DFG to produce my license numerous times and never been cited for not wearing it. When NBPD checked me a few weeks ago at 15th st, he advised me that I am supposed to wear it and if someone else comes along and writes me a ticket, then I cant say he did not warn me. Fair enough!

Quote Originally Posted by HESBROS View Post
    I honestly dont see what the big deal is to people to have to show their license when asked by DFG or any other Peace Officer? If they did not go around asking to see, how are they supposed to know which people dont have a license? Which is why we wear them now. The idea is that if you dont display a license, then maybe it is because you dont have one. I dont wear my license, unless I am on someone elses boat and the captain tell me to do so. I have been asked by DFG to produce my license numerous times and never been cited for not wearing it. When NBPD checked me a few weeks ago at 15th st, he advised me that I am supposed to wear it and if someone else comes along and writes me a ticket, then I cant say he did not warn me. Fair enough!
    HESBROS is correct. I know there is a movement to repeal this but, at this point in time, it is still the law that you have to display the license. Check it out...
    Title 14 section 700(a) California Code of Regulations
    Display of sport fishing license
    Every person, while engaged in taking any fish, invertebrate [including mollusks and crustaceans], amphibian, or reptile shall display their valid sport fishing license by attaching it to their outer clothing at or above the waistline so that it is plainly visible, except when diving as provided in Section 7145 of the Fish and Game Code.
    Persons diving from a boat or shore may have their license on the boat or within 500 yards on the shore, respectively (see Fish and Game Code Section 7145).
    Regulations provide that a person may purchase a hunting or sport fishing license, tags, or stamps for another person, as long as the application contains the licensee’s true name and address. Regulations require that prior to using any license or license stamps, the licensee shall complete the application so that it contains the licensee’s true name, residence address, date of birth, height, color of eyes and hair, weight, and sex.
    Also, you might note that this very same section requires you to have the license filled out prior to "using" it
    the licensee shall complete the application so that it contains the licensee’s true name, residence address, date of birth, height, color of eyes and hair, weight, and sex
    so even though the ding-dongs at Walmart will sell you a license without having you fill it out it is illegal to use that license until you fill it out.

Now, to be truthful, I've been checked a couple times when I've got to the fishing spot and was so enthusiastic about getting a line in the water I've forgotten to pin my license on, but I do have it with me, and, so far, I've been lucky and the DFG Warden checking me just warns me about wearing it. Most of them only care that you have it although it is a violation and if they had wanted to write me up for it I would have been in the wrong with no defense. All I can say about that is when I quit getting excited about fishing I'll quit fishing. It does give DFG, or any other law enforcement, good cause to check you if they don't see a license hanging on your neck or shirt. Also, it does not preclude them checking anyway to make sure you don't have an orange piece of paper in your license holder, instead of a license, and even checking the fishing license against your driver's license to make sure you didn't "borrow" your buddy's license.

"I'm right, you're wrong..." "I can read the DFG book," "No, you can't!!" WTF?!?! Just spend the friggin' $50 and STFU!! Oh yeah, and fish in peace.

As for getting checked for a license, be grateful that DFG's got some backup to help them exhaust their workload since they're deeply understaffed to begin with.

Can't believe this thread is pathetically still alive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12