Irvine Lake  Lip Ripperz   Bass Pro Shops   Shop West Marine!  Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   Shop Hunting  SARL / Corona Lake  Channel Islands Sportfishing  Team 57 fishing  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  Last Chance Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: newport wedge jetty

  1. #1

    Default newport wedge jetty

    Was fishing Newport Wedge Jetty several days ago and was stopped by a police officer as I was standing their watching people surf.

    I had my fishing rod in my hand and he comes up and ask me if he can see my fishing license. I said sure but I donít see why he had to because you donít need a fishing license to fish on this jetty.

    He said yes you do. And since you have a fishing license you shouldnít worry about it. I said yeah okÖ???

    I think the donut lover was making an excuse to stop by the jetty to see the surfers. Because he just stood there and enjoyed the scene.

    Correct me if Iím wrong guys but to my understanding of the F&G regs, you do not need a fishing license to fish at the Newport Jetty Wedge right?

  2. #2

    Default

    Ya you do....only on the pier do you not need one....Jettys and rocks you will need one. He was really not doing his job but he was with in he right to. But he should have better things to do then acting in place of a game warden.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    West Covina
    Posts
    643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redkorn View Post
    Ya you do....only on the pier do you not need one....Jettys and rocks you will need one. He was really not doing his job but he was with in he right to. But he should have better things to do then acting in place of a game warden.
    How do you figure he was not doing his job? It is every peace officer's job in CA to enforce all the CA State Laws, including the Fish and Game Code. All should be happy that there are police officers out there that take the time to enforce the F&G Code with the lack of DFG Wardens. I wish more would do it! I follow the regs so I dont have anything to fear. Only those that break the law or dont follow the regs complain about wardens or officers enforcing the law or checking for licenses.

    If he is what I will call the the little "round" NBPD officer, he has checked me at the 15th St. Public Dock on the harbor side. He is a nice guy, and he is also a fisherman, ehich gives him more incentive to enforce the regs!

    Just my 2 cents.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    West Covina
    Posts
    643

    Default

    Oh yeah, and checking for a license can also add up to bigger things, just like a traffic stop!

  5. #5

    Default

    Imagine if every person ine law enforcement , did the same thing .our fisheres would be better off. With 50yrs of fishing under my belt, ive found that people who dont buy a license ,dont follow dfg reg. Which means they keep every fish they catch ,even if its not legal size. So dont get upset if even a lifeguard ask to see your license its all good ,for our favorite pastime..

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    rancho cucamonga
    Posts
    228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PUDD MASTER BAITER View Post
    Imagine if every person ine law enforcement , did the same thing .our fisheres would be better off. With 50yrs of fishing under my belt, ive found that people who dont buy a license ,dont follow dfg reg. Which means they keep every fish they catch ,even if its not legal size. So dont get upset if even a lifeguard ask to see your license its all good ,for our favorite pastime..
    well put.fish legal!!!!!!!!

  7. #7

    Default

    After reading the regs again, again and over again. I think fatty is wrong. I dont think you need a fishing license at Newport Wedge

    Pier and Shore-Based Sport Fishing

    Q. Where and when can I fish in the ocean without a fishing license?

    A. Anyone 16 years and older must have a fishing license displayed so that it is plainly visible above the waist to take any kind of fish, mollusk, invertebrate or crustacean in California, except for persons angling from a public pier for non-commercial purposes in ocean or bay waters. A public pier is defined in the sport fishing regulations as a publicly owned man-made structure that has the following characteristics: is connected, above the mean high tide, to the main coastline or to the land mass of a named and charted natural island; has unrestricted free access for the general public; and has been built or currently functions for the primary purpose of allowing angling access to ocean waters.

    Additionally, publicly owned jetties or breakwaters that are connected to land, as described above, that have free unrestricted access for the general public and whose purpose it is to form the most seaward protective boundary of an ocean harbor are public piers. Jetties, breakwaters, promenades, sea walls, moles, docks, linings, barriers and other structures that are not the most seaward protective boundary of an ocean harbor, are not public piers.

    Even though a license is not required on a public pier, all other regulations (including minimum size, bag limits and seasons) apply while fishing from a public pier.


    Newport Jetty Wedge is a publicly owned man-made structure that has the following characteristics: is connected, above the mean high tide, to the main coastline or to the land mass of a named and charted natural island; has unrestricted free access for the general public; and has been built or currently functions for the primary purpose of allowing angling access to ocean waters.... publicly owned jetties or breakwaters that are connected to land, as described above, that have free unrestricted access for the general public and whose purpose it is to form the most seaward protective boundary of an ocean harbor are public piers.

    http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/faqindx.asp#Sport
    Last edited by Lightline; 03-21-2009 at 06:32 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,508

    Default

    Depends on where you were fishing on the jetty. You don't need one on a jetty per fish and game regulations, however, the definition of a jetty is rocks having water on both sides. The way the Wedge jetty is built there is rock rip-rap on the harbor side from the last house on Channel until the actual "jetty" starts where you have ocean on one side and harbor on the other side.

    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...12842&t=h&z=17
    So you have about 275 yards of rocks (as measured using google maps ruler tool) on the harbor side that are not covered under the legal definition of jetty and you would need a license there.

    BTW, speaking of that rip-rap they also have an ordinance that states you can't fish those rocks that are adjacent to Jetty View Park so that eliminates the first 80 yards or so of the rip-rap from the last house on Channel to the end of the park (which is the end of the grass there).
    Last edited by Fish Dog; 03-21-2009 at 06:34 PM.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Dog View Post
    Depends on where you were fishing on the jetty. You don't need one on a jetty per fish and game regulations, however, the definition of a jetty is rocks having water on both sides. The way the Wedge jetty is built there is rock rip-rap on the harbor side from the last house on Channel until the actual "jetty" starts where you have ocean on one side and harbor on the other side.

    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...12842&t=h&z=17
    So you have about 275 yards of rocks (as measured using google maps ruler tool) on the harbor side that are not covered under the legal definition of jetty and you would need a license there.

    Good point, so are you saying that newport wedge jetty does not require a license if you fish where there is water on both side.

    And you need a license where there is water on one side

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightline View Post
    Good point, so are you saying that newport wedge jetty does not require a license if you fish where there is water on both side.

    And you need a license where there is water on one side
    Yes - if not, then you could fish places like the rip-rap rocks along the 900 block of Bayside Dr. (here)...

    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...06421&t=h&z=18

    ...for example, without a license. Which, of course you can't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •