Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling crankbaits from a kayak....

Default Trolling crankbaits from a kayak....

Hey, guys. Now that I have a GPS with speed readings, I'd like to start trolling a bit more. I was just wondering how fast you guys usually troll a mid range, shallow, and deep diver. I'll be using 8-10 pound test and targeting striper and LMB. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

So far I have only trolled for small harbor bonies and trout. I have not caught
    any bonies so far, but I have been successfull on trout and macs. I usually
    troll with 2lb, 4lb, 6lb, and 8lb line. I use various shad baits such as Rapalas,
    Owners, bucktails, mirashads, and many others. The trout seem to like the lures
    at between moderate and slow speeds and the macs/bonies seem to like
    moderate and fast speeds.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the further back your lures are, the slower they
    go, right? I usually trail them about 75-100 feet behind the yak.

I think t just depends on what you want. Like right now at Silverwood, I've been trolling deep divers really slow. Just slow enough to give them a wobble, and I have gotten a few Stripers. On the other hand, I've trolled deep divers during the summer at about 1.5 mph and I have caught stripers. I would say that the preferred speed is up to you.

Guess it's gonna come down to trial and error for each particular bait. At least I have a speedometer now, so it shouldn't take long to get dialed in. Thanks guys.

For striper, the deeper the fish are and line out, the faster you can troll. Other wise, just fast enough to give the geven bait its preferred action. Start at 1.5-2mph and dunk your lure beside the boat and watch the action. Adjust the speed until the lure just starts its action. Bear in mind a Mirashad wobbles more than a CD and so on. So each lure may have a different optimum speed as well. That will be the best starting point. Then experiment from there with varied speed for varied depths. I use the same speed for multiple lures in the water for trout, but they are much easier to troll for than Bass. Good luck and tell us how it goes.
    Last edited by MAVERICK27; 02-18-2009 at 11:31 AM.

Default Speeds

Trolling speeds are gonna depend entirely on what your fish'in with, and what ur fish'in for, if ur pull'in spoons or dragging around plugs. I'm guessing if I was to be out trolling for trout I'd be searching for a steady 1.1mph -1.3mph almost completely regardless of what I was pulling along behind me just because it has always seemed to me that they liked it that way so this topic is kinda a loaded one as there is no real answer to this but for me slower is better when I'm trolling.

Fastfish

Quote Originally Posted by Fastfish View Post
    Trolling speeds are gonna depend entirely on what your fish'in with, and what ur fish'in for, if ur pull'in spoons or dragging around plugs. I'm guessing if I was to be out trolling for trout I'd be searching for a steady 1.1mph -1.3mph almost completely regardless of what I was pulling along behind me just because it has always seemed to me that they liked it that way so this topic is kinda a loaded one as there is no real answer to this but for me slower is better when I'm trolling.

Fastfish
    Yeah, I figured it would vary from lure to lure. I'll just start experimenting until they start biting, lol. Thanks, guys.

defenitely the best way. Trial and error depending on tackle and species. Between 1.5-2 mph is a good start on most though. I have caught trout at 3.1 mph before I had my trolling plate too, just not as many. Tell us how it goes!!

Thanks guys. Just a few more questions. Should I invest in a leadcore setup? I know I don't wanna try and mount a downrigger. Or will long-lining it get it down deep enough? Is there any way to effectively add weight to the line without affecting the crank's action?Thanks.

I use lead core every time I go out. I put out mono and lead core. Whichever is getting action, I switch all lines to. depends on weather and water temp and clarity. time of day plays a part too. I use leadcore at lunch time when the fish suspend deeper. I have a downrigger, but haven't had to use it all season because the lead core does very well. I use a level wind with 12lb lead and a ten foot 6lb mono leader. I have only been trolling trout at the Vine this year and its only like 70ft at its deepest point. I usually target fish between 20-35 ft. If you are hitting a much deeper lake, you may want to use the downrigger. The good thing about the lead core is that when you get a hook up, you WILL land it (provided the hook or lure doesnt fail or get spit).

Again, I hope this helps...i'm no expert. I'm just letting you know what I have been doing, and its been producing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast