Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Jig Question

Default Jig Question

Bought a new Shimano real for my 6ft ultra light rod and it's loaded with 2LB. test. Also a couple of packs of Mini Jigs 1/32 oz. The question is how do you fish the jigs? I have never used them before. If my Allergy will give me a break I would like to hit the old pudd tomorrow and try for some pan fish. Any help will be appreciated,thanks.

well i suck at jig fishing, and have yet to catch a trout on one but, i have been told that you bounce your rod while you reel in.

Good luck

Slow as you can and give your rod just a little "pop" every two or three
    turns or so.

Jigging -
    Cast out jig and let it sink until it is in the lower half of the water column. Close your bail and start giving the bait its action. Point your rod tip up and start bouncing your rod. You want to raise and lower your rod tip at a medium to fast pace. At the same time you are bouncing the rod tip, reel in VERY SLOWLY. Just enough to keep the slack out of your line at alltimes (with slack you cant feel when the fish bites).

"Jigging Under A Bobber"

When windy or the fish are out further than expected, it is a great time to put on a bobber. Place a small bobber anywhere from one to five feet above the jig, depending on where you think the trout will be holding in the water column.

Was that a bite?

Sometimes a bite will feel like a small tick in the rod or a small force of resistance. When this happens, set the hook!!! Other times, the fish will practically pull the rod out of your hands!!! When this happens, raise the rod tip and start the fight!!!

The float will give you a much longer cast. I use at least a 7ft to 8ft.spinning rod ,with 2lb leader. Ajust the float as long as you can, without snagging the bottom. When your reeling in, keep your index finger ,on your right hand straight down so it hits the line, when your reeling in. You will see your float pop ,causing more action on your mini jig .crappie nuggets are a good thing at the pudd. Was that you sitting in the first cabana next to the middle pier yesterday.if so i was the older guy with the white bucket and back pack.

Default Hey Pudd Master

Any particular kind of bobber that you prefer? Clear bubble (empty - or half filled?) ... orange and yellow or red and white type? Ever tried the yellow and orange that make noise?

Thanks for any help!

I use a round bobber ,with bbs inside. I got them at kennys rod, and reel. They are a little heavier ,and cast further ,which is important,to cover more water, when im fishing the flats, and the crappie can be any where.

If you're allergies are kicking your butt...stay away from Sailboat. The trees are in full bloom and chased me out of there pretty quickly. The otherside of the lake doesn't have as much pollen, but if you're a bit sensitive, it's noticable.

Thanks you all. I will be on the east shore next week and look for your van PUDD MASTER BAITER.