Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new to saltwater

Drop down to 4lb or 6lb flourocarbon on your leaders on the carolina rig, and downsize the hooks to size 6 or 8. I use Owner SSWs, but a comparable finesse hooks works just as well. Use a sinker that is heavy enough to keep you in contact with your bait, but light enough to be pushed around by the waves. A slow, steady retrieve is all you will need to get into the surf perch.

Focus your efforts on "structure" like the areas next to rip tides, the deep troughs formed near sandbars, and the deeper bowels in the sand that you can see because they are the areas where waves don't form. This is where the fish will hide because it stirs up food and gives them areas to ambush the food that washes in.

As for specific spots near you, I would try Huntington Beach and Bolsa Chica State Beach.

Quote Originally Posted by joebass View Post
    i see your name everywhere on these sites.where do you fish? on a boat or shore?
    It's because I am everywhere.lol Basically, I like to fish everything ranging
    from largemouth bass, to big gills, to tuna. But, I do prefer to fish saltwater
    bass such as spotties, calicos, and sandies. I have a kayak so basically
    anywhere I can paddle to is my range.

My favorite spots though, are Newport Harbor, Dana Point breakwall, La
    Jolla, and Laguna Beach.

great thnx for info.do i need a boat to fish newport habor and can i fish on shore? are there boat rentals there also.thnx again

Quote Originally Posted by joebass View Post
    great thnx for info.do i need a boat to fish newport habor and can i fish on shore? are there boat rentals there also.thnx again
    You can rent skiffs from Davie Locker or you can fish it from shore. Shore can
    be very productive at times especially around bridges and docks. The bass
    in Newport Harbor are a little different than other bay bass in the way that
    they love to stay around docks. Use a 1/4oz leadhead with any Big Hammer
    that has green on it or smelt or sexy smelt colors. Pitch around docks and
    retrieve slowly. Light line is KEY. I mean as light as you can go. I use 2lb, but
    for beginners I would recommend 4lb or 6lb.

Quote Originally Posted by calico killer kevin View Post
    You can rent skiffs from Davie Locker or you can fish it from shore. Shore can
    be very productive at times especially around bridges and docks. The bass
    in Newport Harbor are a little different than other bay bass in the way that
    they love to stay around docks. Use a 1/4oz leadhead with any Big Hammer
    that has green on it or smelt or sexy smelt colors. Pitch around docks and
    retrieve slowly. Light line is KEY. I mean as light as you can go. I use 2lb, but
    for beginners I would recommend 4lb or 6lb.
    great.you are the go to guy for info.thnx again kevin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12