Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of shark is this?

Default What kind of shark is this?

Caught this shark last weekend hooping at Catalina, Anyone know what kind of shark this is?
    This thing was so fat it looked like a baby seal when we first brought it up.We released him/her after the photos. Anyway, we ended up the night with 17 lobster for three of us.

Tuna out
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fat shark.jpg 
Views:	706 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	11125   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fat shark 1.jpg 
Views:	654 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	11126  

Thats a swell shark, you notice they bloat themselves when you bring them up.

I think the FNN rule of thumb is this; Any fish of quesionable identity is a squawfish.

Therefore I can tell you that your catch is a squawfish (or pikeminow if you caught it in WA state)

Since I've been a memeber here I've been amazed at the variety of shapes, sizes and coloration squawfish come in. I used to think they were just a large minow species found in Pacific drainages, but thanks to people who know better than I, I've come to learn that a squawfish is basically anything with fins that isn't a bass - and sometimes it can be a salamander or an old boot.

Squawfish! Squawfish! When I close my eyes all I see are squawfish!

I'm not completely sure but I would say swell shark as well. Those are some cool pics and nice job on the lobsters.

that looks like a swell shark. me and chris from fnn have caught one of those hooping. the latest hitch hiker for us was a huge bat ray.

lol. you guys have the same expression in the second pic.

ahahaha... and now that i look... the same expression in the first pic too.

Hi tunagod1,

I agree with cappo ... we caught one ..... no two (pic in 3/2 report) on a moo-moo. They must be spawning or something as I don't think they are that commonly caught around the 'Shoe'. Could be wrong but .....

So often ... we'll get a flurry of catching an odd or uncommon fish simply because they come in shallower to spawn and then return to deeper water for the remainder of the year.

JapanRon

Quote Originally Posted by City Dad View Post
    I think the FNN rule of thumb is this; Any fish of quesionable identity is a squawfish.

Therefore I can tell you that your catch is a squawfish (or pikeminow if you caught it in WA state)

Since I've been a memeber here I've been amazed at the variety of shapes, sizes and coloration squawfish come in. I used to think they were just a large minow species found in Pacific drainages, but thanks to people who know better than I, I've come to learn that a squawfish is basically anything with fins that isn't a bass - and sometimes it can be a salamander or an old boot.

Squawfish! Squawfish! When I close my eyes all I see are squawfish!
    CD can I get your new dealer's number?

TD

Definately a swell shark. They swallow water when they get scared. I caught a 100lb+ in mexican waters a long time ago and looked it up.

I heard they taste like chicken...

Quote Originally Posted by midgettosser1 View Post
    lol. you guys have the same expression in the second pic.

ahahaha... and now that i look... the same expression in the first pic too.

Its funny, but they actually DO!! lol....

GD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast