Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My newest Lucanus look-alike jig

Quote Originally Posted by BIGRED KILLA View Post
    It is made out off balled up white power bait it floats.

Bigred
    LOL very funny. HAR HAR

Quote Originally Posted by calico killer kevin View Post
    Any idea how much it weighs? Lucanus was made mainly for deep fish such
    as lings and rockfish, but have been successful with other species such as
    yellows, bass, and halibut. If that things doesn't weigh at least 3-4oz, then
    it'll never reach 250ft.
    If you look at the image carefully the sinker say 4 ounces, but it's upside down. I also made a couple 5 ounce models. By using sliding sinkers the jig will sink even faster than torpedos.

keep up the good work bro!

making your own lures not only saves you $ in the long run, but it's also a great way to learn how and why a certain lure works to triggering a reactionary bite...

heres what i made during my lunch break with a 6 oz sinker, bass skirts, trailers, and good 'ol nail polish.

i also forgot to add that...

by learning how to work with the raw materials that you have, you can make yourself new lures or good imitations when the real thing is in short supply...

I found these Flashminnow 110 in Ghost Minnow pattern for $9.99!!! With a few quick touches of paint, i turned them into the popular metallic sardine--i've found that the glittery finish on the imitation hand painted sardine actually works really well in attracting fish on those sunny days...but the picture doesn't do the lure justice at all! I need to get a new camera

Quote Originally Posted by fish_sauce View Post
    i also forgot to add that...

by learning how to work with the raw materials that you have, you can make yourself new lures or good imitations when the real thing is in short supply...

I found these Flashminnow 110 in Ghost Minnow pattern for $9.99!!! With a few quick touches of paint, i turned them into the popular metallic sardine--i've found that the glittery finish on the imitation hand painted sardine actually works really well in attracting fish on those sunny days...but the picture doesn't do the lure justice at all! I need to get a new camera

You took hooks out of the places that were getting bit the most?

nope, i took those pictures as i was getting ready to work on them. i just removed them to do some touch-up work on the heavily used lures that get scratched up from the treble hooks moving around and from damages caused by impact from sand, rocks and toothy fish. Re-touching lures really add life to them, expecially with the prices these things are going for! I learned a valuable lesson a few months ago--no matter how careful you are, you're bound to hook yourself if the hooks are not removed or covered up prior to working on the lures...
    Last edited by fish_sauce; 03-16-2009 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fish_sauce View Post
    keep up the good work bro!

making your own lures not only saves you $ in the long run, but it's also a great way to learn how and why a certain lure works to triggering a reactionary bite...

heres what i made during my lunch break with a 6 oz sinker, bass skirts, trailers, and good 'ol nail polish.

Man that is one nice looking squid jig!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12