Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Angels News

Default Angels News

Since BadFish(2) Gammons is no longer here to bless us with day to day Angels news and highlights (unless they were in the playoffs getting swept), I'll bring you up to speed with the happenings of the Halos.

• The effeminite fireballer Ervin Santana that the Angels just signed for $30 million? He has a tired arm apparently.

LOS ANGELES -- Angels All-Star right-hander Ervin Santana will open the season on the disabled list with an elbow injury.

An MRI scan traced discomfort in his pitching elbow to a sprained medial collateral ligament, the team said.

• A Dominican being older than what he told his agent? Say it ain't so!

LOS ANGELES -- Angels’ slugger Vladimir Guerrero recently underwent a mysterious transformation. In a span of 12 months, he’s managed to age two years, though there are no physical signs of change. Guerrero revealed he's actually a year older than previously thought, Yahoo! Sports reports. He's actually 34 years old and born in 1975.
    That might explains the Frankenstein-esque running style Vlad has developed over the past 5 years.

Mark Teixeira?

Yeah, that wasn't a bad dream, you didn't re-sign him. You, uh, rented him, in essence.

So, since the Angels have been buried on Page 12 of the Sports section lately, I'd thought I'd 'bump' them up to the top.

Tootles.

Aw classic the Dodgers sign their Messiah in dreads and already the trash talk to the promise land starts.

As far as the Santana thing the Angels can afford to have one of their top pitchers injured without the season becoming a loss. Could the Dodgers? No.

I'm actually suprised Vlad is only one year older.

And when is a player no longer a rental? When he plays a fifth of a season and then resigns after no one else was willing to sign him or his troubles, except for a desparate team that has done anything in the last 20 years.
    What happens when the Messiah turns into the Anti-Christ when the going gets tough and opts out of his second year? Is he a rental then?

No doubt the Dodgers will be on the front page of the sports section this season but we'll have towait and see what the reason is.

Quote Originally Posted by wellbilldancesays View Post
    Aw classic the Dodgers sign their Messiah in dreads and already the trash talk to the promise land starts.
    Aww cmon WBDS, the trash talking started looong before the Man Ram pick up. Of course, you'll have people that jump on the band wagon now, but that's something they have to live with.

As far as the Santana thing the Angels can afford to have one of their top pitchers injured without the season becoming a loss. Could the Dodgers? No.
    See, that's the sheer beauty of our pitching staff this year. Since we don't have ANYBODY, we can afford to lose someone and our pitching staff still will still suck. "Aim low, and you'll never be disappointed." That's our motto for our pitching staff this year.

Oh, and courtesy from the LA Times:

Reporting from Phoenix -- Coming on the heels of Ervin Santana's elbow injury, it has to be somewhat discouraging for the Angels to hear that pitcher Joe Saunders is feeling some residual effects from the shoulder tightness that slowed him earlier this spring.
    Must be something in the water over there in Phoenix.

I'm actually suprised Vlad is only one year older.
    Yeah, the guy looks like a Dominican Sanford from Sanford & Son. I thought I saw him driving a red pick up truck the other day to pick up his pension. Guy can still mash though. Just as long as he doesn't have to run anywhere.

And when is a player no longer a rental? When he plays a fifth of a season and then resigns after no one else was willing to sign him or his troubles, except for a desparate team that has done anything in the last 20 years.
    Hey, I thought the same thing, but apparently the "rental" issue is big enough for some other fans on this board to use as cannon fodder. I'm all for rentals, I mean, isn't that what a GM's job is to do? To get players to make their team better, regardless if they can secure them for a long term deal and make them a 'franchise' player? I never understood why some individuals were so adverse to someone being a rental, unless they're reaching for straws in an argument.

The reason the Teixiera situation is hilarious is because

1. He really was the definition of a 'rental,' because technically, by definition, once you give a player a contract, even for 1 year, they are no longer a rental. When you get someone for 2 months....

2. They got rid of Casey Kotchman thinking the Teixiera contract was theirs. So now they have neither.

What happens when the Messiah turns into the Anti-Christ when the going gets tough and opts out of his second year? Is he a rental then?
    No, considering the definition of a 'rental' above. But, regardless, during his stint, he single handedly propelled a team that according to pundits and experts alike, would never advance to the playoffs, to a NLDS Championship and an NLCS berth, and it was mighty fun ride while it lasted. As I said before, I'm not adverse to 'rentals.' No idea why others do. I mean, Kirk Gibson was with us a 'short' period, and 1 of those years was quite special to say the least. David Cone was a rental that won various rings. Rentals are only a bad investment if you give up a lot of talent in the long run.

No doubt the Dodgers will be on the front page of the sports section this season but we'll have towait and see what the reason is.
    I doubt Manny will go Operation Shutdown in L.A. Mainly, because he's only here for a while...he can't develop the animosity with the fans as he did with Boston, because, well, fans in LA are not like di¢k Red Sox fans. Injury? Sure, could happen, but that's part of the game.

As long as the headlines have pictures like this accompanying them:

I'll be a'ok.

Last edited by DarkShadow; 03-10-2009 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Damn quotes

DS just be careful how much trash you talk or you might just do to the Dogers what BF2 did to the Angels! lol!

"Renting" players is part of the game and nothing wrong with it. Angels took a gamble on Texiera and lost. Sucks.

I dont think the Manny deal for the Dodgers is anywhere the same kind of situation though. But if you think he's going to put up the same kind of numbers all season that he did at the last season, well you must really believe in the messiah theory then.

And yes Boston fans suck!

Manny's stats last year...

.332, 36 doubles, 37 RBI, 102 runs, 121 RBI in 153 games

Putting up similar stats this coming year isn't THAT far out of the question, but I'd bet on closer to .300 than .330

I don't THINK that DS thinks Manny is going to hit .396 with 55 HR and 159 RBI (or whatever his Doyer stats pro rate out to for a full season), nor does Manny need to put up those kind of numbers for the contract to be worthwhile.

DS is the new halo correspondent...someone get the man a rally monkey for an avatar!

I love the Angel thread with all the Dodger/Manny talk...

TD

Quote Originally Posted by troutdog View Post
    DS is the new halo correspondent...someone get the man a rally monkey for an avatar!

I love the Angel thread with all the Dodger/Manny talk...

TD
    If the Angels were a state they'd be Delaware... You know, it's basically ho-hum... some stuff happened there a looooong time ago... but mostly, you just kinda wish you were someplace - anyplace - else ;)

Quote Originally Posted by City Dad View Post
    If the Angels were a state they'd be Delaware... You know, it's basically ho-hum... some stuff happened there a looooong time ago... but mostly, you just kinda wish you were someplace - anyplace - else ;)
    Actually that sounds more like the Dodgers.

Actually that sounds more like the Dodgers.
    Naw, cuz then they'd be the Anaheim Dodgers of Los Angeles.

I guess even Artie saw the marketing potential of adding "LA" to his team name. It's almost flattering, really.

Quote Originally Posted by troutdog View Post
    And a Coor's light, lifted suspension for his truck, a barbed wire tattoo around his bicep, and a TAPOUT shirt.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast