Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local Parks Fly Day 3/8 am

Default Local Parks Fly Day 3/8 am

Was going to head out to perris and i figured i'd stay local and play around with my fly rod at some local parks. Knowing nothing about fly fishing and flys, I hit up a tackle shop last night and picked up some nymphs and other misc panfish flys. My goal was to catch anything on my new fly rod. Left my house at 5:50 and was fishing Mile square park at 5:55am. Hit up the south lake for 40 minutes and headed up to the north lake. NADA. Threw a couple nymphs, kinda just seeing if i coule get a gill or trout, again, not knowing what flys work best for trout of gills.
    Next i hit up Central Park for an hour. The water level seems to be up from a few months ago. Again i just threw an assortment of flys for NADA.
    Next hit up tiny little carr park. Same story. NADA.
    Was on my way back to my house when i thought of Cenntenial park. I always catch a bucket full of green sunfish. Made a lap around the lake came back and left. NADA.
    Wasn't sure what was going to happen throwing the fly for the 1st time on a lake. But it was a good day anyways. Nobody i seen at all 4 city parks caught anything. So i really didn't feel bad. I love fishing so, i didn't care. I just relized that it was day light savings, so i guess i left my house at 4:50am. Duh!!! I guess that's why the parks were dead. Anyways good times

great to hear that your picking up the fly rod. the first fish i went after on the fly were bluegills and i still go after them. blues are fun on the fly.

suggestion: maybe try scuds or midges.

Still a little bit too early for 'Gills at the parks. If we have a week of this nice weather, things will really pick up. Hey Bluegill rock on the flyrod! Actually any lightweight rod!

Hey chivo I came across this guys blog when I was looking at getting into fly fishing and I think you might enjoy it. He fly fishes all these oc and la parks
    http://urbanflyfishing.blogspot.com/

if your clock said 5:50 you left at 6:50 partner

might wanna check with the dfg regardinig fly fishing at local parks....the last time i was at mile square park, another fisherman told me, the dfg told him it wasn't okay to fly fish at the park.

Quote Originally Posted by FishermanStu View Post
    if your clock said 5:50 you left at 6:50 partner
    an alarm clock in the wall doesn't change by itself.

Nice try. One of my favorite local places to flyfish would probably newport
    harbor. Like to get towed by a spottie or hali? Newport harbor...

Quote Originally Posted by Fishingmonkee View Post
    might wanna check with the dfg regardinig fly fishing at local parks....the last time i was at mile square park, another fisherman told me, the dfg told him it wasn't okay to fly fish at the park.
    wow, fly fishing banned from local fishing hole. that sucks. no problem flying at svg lakes. at least no one has told me anything yet.

i say fly any lake desired until the dfg stands its ground and tells you not to.

i dont remember seeing any regulations on types of rod/reel setups. only on tackle (hooks, baits, etc..) maybe it's p&r thing.

if there is regulations on rods & reels someone will post it.

thanks for the warning mr monkee.

Quote Originally Posted by MrScary13 View Post
    Hey chivo I came across this guys blog when I was looking at getting into fly fishing and I think you might enjoy it. He fly fishes all these oc and la parks
    http://urbanflyfishing.blogspot.com/
    the site is cool. i think the guy just started the blog. strange that san fe dam is not listed on his blog.

hey monkee, the guy on the blog has a youtube video of his catches on flies at mile square park. strange...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWSQ31poZr4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast