Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Marine Life Protection Act .... Say Goodbye To Nearshore Fishing!!

I can't open the maps for some reason. can they be posted here?

Here is the brand spanking new official MLPA page at the DFG-

Everything you did not ever want to know about losing you rights to fish, and who to send letters to!

www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/contact_sc.asp

Happy writing!

Capt'n

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Fish View Post
    I need to go to some of these meetings and learn more. I'm having a hard time understanding the reasoning behind such restrictions on these areas. What studies have been done to support the need for closure?

GF...For over a year the DFG has been doing studies on the fish populations. Probably longer than that to be honest. Last year when I was fishing up north around the Santa Barbara area...... Bigred and I were greeted by a DFG lady at the docks. She was there EVERY weekend and was doing a study so to speak. She asked questions like how many fish did you catch?,How big were they?,How often do you fish this area?, Where are you from?........She was even measuring peoples catches and quantities of fish caught. She also was hitting up every boat that was comming in to re-trailer their boat as well as the comercial fisherman. I'm assuming that her research was providing info to the concerned ECO folks.I picked her brain a bit and she seemed a little evasive sometimes with her answers and wouldn't tell me WHY she was gathering this information. She did tell me though that the halibut population and WSB population seemed to be doing ok but the Lingcod population was diminishing. I wonder if they calculate in the milions of gallons of raw sewage(Human Turds) and storm drain runnoff that comes from the cities and local residents. I finally was informed why Malibu has the WORST water quality in the SM bay. There is NO sewage system along PCH in that area so ALL of the homes in that area are leaching their sewage right ino the ground and it contaminates the coastal waters. That's why Malibu receives a "F" on the water quality rating scale every year. Funny how the Liberal Eco freaks don't do anything to attempt to stop all of the contaminants that we pump into the ocean every day!

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    Funny how the Liberal Eco freaks don't do anything to attempt to stop all of the contaminants that we pump into the ocean every day!
    Yeah, it sucks that those "Don't Dump Stuff In Here As It Goes Into The Ocean" insignias on every storm drain are ignored by pretty much everyone in LA. It's too bad these eco freaks can't devise a system that allows for trash that is dumped improperly, whether it be in the storm drains or other places, to be redirected to that person's living room.

Bones - I've experienced the same surveys coming in to the docks after fishing and even when surf fishing a couple of times. Still I would like to see how they qualify closure over enforcing regulations already in place. Looks like I'll be writing some letters this weekend.

I agree with both you and DS regarding the raw sewage. How often are the beaches closed to swimming every year because of high concentrations of bacteria? Yet no one seems to be addressing the problem this may be causing to our coastal resource.

this may be a stupid question but does "no take" mean no fishing whatsoever? or just catch and release? (my gut tells me no fishing whatsoever) For example on those maps NPH is highlighted red and designated as some sort of regulated area and in the legend it says that red indicates "no take". Just wondering if anybody could clarify that for me. If the MLPA enviros decided to make NPH or some of these other harbors a catch and release only area, quite frankly I would be all for it.
    Last edited by bergie berg; 03-07-2009 at 11:30 PM.

Default MLPA and United Anglers

I belong to a saltwater fishing club, Dana Wharf Rod and Reel Club (DWRRC). We as a club have donated to United Anglers to fight this issue for the past few years. Last year we had a donation of $1,500.00 which was more than previous or this years donation. The donation varies depending on the clubs bank account. United Anglers has a real presence in this fight but they need our help as most of us are uneducated or have no time to voice against the MLPA. Our coastline and islands are in serious peril if this effort fails. We flat will not be able to fish the affected areas. Hell, the Navy just closed a 3 mile perimeter of the West end of San Clemente Island. Can't fish the 9 any more. What's next?????

Rambogottafish,

look at Catilina , we lose some prime area too.

bergie berg- No take means no fishing, netting, spearing, NO HAVING FUN!

Capt

BOTTOM LINE IS WE ALL NEED TO GET OUT THERE AND SPEAK UP...

There strength in numbers, I think someone should put up a no frills version of the pros and cons of the suggested closures(if there are any pros to this) .

The information included in this post, though definately helpfull, is very scattered and hard to follow.

If someone could take the time to do a streamlined "from the anglers" summary, I'm sure it would rally more commitment to stopping this and voicing the concerns.

Maybe even to be followed by a "rendevous" post where we could all meet at the next meeting.

I cannot say I am educated enough regarding the particulars on this subject to take the helm on this one.

I thought I'd throw that out there...I think the details are too obscured, a clean concise presentation of the issue would draw many more into the battle from the anglers end.

My 2 cents,
    Gary
    Last edited by gletemfeelsteelgary; 03-09-2009 at 12:09 PM.

Gary,

glad you chimed in ;-)

There is some very good info at the DGF linkj I posted, has some good intel. If you want to write comments check here: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/publiccomments_sc.asp

If you want to know about meetings check here: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/meetings_sc.asp

The stakeholders in this are doing battle, and doing a very good job. Just look at what happened in the MLPA areas north of us, and you can see the battle is intense, and we are already fairing much better than our neighbors to the north.

The problem is when it is time for "JOE FIsherman" to come in off the street to voice his opinion, there is rarely more that a few at most. Versus when it is time for JOE ECO to chime in they are there in droves.

Capt'n

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast