Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some sort of asian egg roll? Help?

Default Some sort of asian egg roll? Help?

A long time ago I had this fishing buddy who was from Cambodia. We stopped by his moms house on the way to the lake, because he wanted to pick up some of his moms egg rolls. Being they are from Cambodia, I just assumed they were a Cambodian recipe, but I dont know. Ive been craving them for years.....but lost touch with my friend.

Anyways, what they were was just like egg rolls, a bit smaller than normal, and all they had in them was like ground sausage or something like that. I do not believe there were any veggies in them at all. Now, I can figure out how to make an eggroll with just sausage in it, but they in no way would taste or smell like his moms. They had a very good smell (authentic, but almost the smell of a Filipino dish) and I swear I could eat a dozen of them.

I wish I could describe the smell over a messageboard but I cant. Im hoping though, that somebody here may know what I am talking about!

Any help would be appreciated....

Thx

Could it be a Filipino / Shaghai Lumpia?
    I've eaten a Boat load of these things.. ! Just can't stop eatin' em...

Wow...thanks Yama....

From the pic, and what Ive read about Lumpia.....it seems like its possible thats what Im talking about. From your experiences, are they more meaty inside than egg rolls? Where do you get yours from.....I mean.....do you know how to make them?

:)

BaadFish,
    I honestly don't know if these are the same thing you are looking for.
    I am not Filipino, nor do I know how to make these Delicious Treats...
    This in my experience, they are mosty filled with with meats only. They are also smaller than the size of an large egg roll.

I used to phone in an order to have ready to take home..
    I have not been there in ages..
    Manila Good Ha Inc.

900 E Colorado St
    Glendale, CA 91205

A recipe I found OnLine
    Lumpia Shanghai Ingredients:

• 1 pound ground pork
    • of 1 pound groud beef
    • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
    • 1 carrot, grated
    • 1/4 cup soy sauce
    • 2 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
    • 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
    • 2 tablespoons salt
    • 1 (16 ounce) package spring roll wrappers
    • 1 1/2 quarts oil for frying
    Lumpia Shanghai Instructions:

• In a Large bowl, combine ground pork, ground beef, onion, and carrot. Make sure to completely mix everything. I suggest getting down and dirty and use your hands. Knead the meat in the bowl if you must.
    • Gradually blend in the soy sauce , black pepper, garlic powder, and salt until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
    • Lay out a few wrappers at a time on a flat surface, and place about 2 tablespoons of the filling in a line down the center of the wrapper. Make sure the filling is no thicker than your thumb, or the wrapper will cook faster than the meat.
    • Take the bottom and top edges of the wrapper and fold them towards the center. Take the left and right sides, and fold them towards the center. Moisten the last edge of the wrapper to seal. Now repeat using the rest of the wrappers, and have hubby or the kids help you out.
    • Heat the oil in a deep fryer or heavy skillet to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Fry 3 or 4 lumpia at a time. Fry for about 3 or 4 minutes, turning once. Lumpia are cooked through when they float, and the wrapper is golden brown.
    • Cut in half, or serve as is with dipping sauce. We like sweet and sour sauce, soy sauce with lemon, or banana ketchup.
    Hope your this helps,

Rodger - YamaFish - "YamaEggRoll"...
    Last edited by yamafish; 02-02-2009 at 05:48 AM.

Awesome Yama! Thanks so much for the info. I think you nailed it...so Ill run with it. I think Ill even have the ol lady try that recipe....looks yummy.

Here you go. Vietnamese Chicken Roll.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=16359

KPN.

Quote Originally Posted by kpn View Post

KPN.

Nice! Those look good too! Thanks for the info!

Hey Baadfish,

Your other option if you don't want to do it from scratch is to locate a philipino influenced supermarket (down in SD, that would be Seafood City in Manila Mesa among others).

They have bags of frozen lumpia of differing types. All you have to do is drop them in hot peanut oil.

Quote Originally Posted by kpn View Post

KPN.
    kpn....you make the best egg rolls i've ever eaten!!!!damn those are excellent and those pics made my mouth water....a lot!!!

Damn it Khanh,your gonna need to have em' ready by 9pm...

Quote Originally Posted by sansou View Post
    Hey Baadfish,

Your other option if you don't want to do it from scratch is to locate a philipino influenced supermarket (down in SD, that would be Seafood City in Manila Mesa among others).

They have bags of frozen lumpia of differing types. All you have to do is drop them in hot peanut oil.

Well, I tried to locate one using the web, but here in the I.E., there doesnt seem to be anything as far as markets go. My parents are coming from AZ in a few weeks to vacation in SD, so I think when I go visit them there, I just might look for that market. Thanks for the heads up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast