Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: a avet question for the avet fans out there

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky-Ray View Post
    Yeah I have just a couple of Avets....

Damn, you a big pimp !! not a whore like getto said.

thanks for all the help and tips

Mstr fish,

I've been eyeballing those Reyes trips for a long time....just haven't been able to rationally justify 1 week off (though my heart tells me to go!). I am planning a long weekend this summer in San Felipe/Puertecitos with the hope of trying my hand at grouper fishing.

I would think the inexpensive way (as compared to buying an HX and a 30) to go about it would be to get a couple Penn Senators/Baja (113's) in both high speed and lower ratio, and spool up 40# and 60# respectively. Likewise, I would think a 6/0 would be fine for the grouper and trolling. Or.....get your FNN friends to lend you their big game stuff!!!

For the price of one Pro 30, you could get several used Penns. Just replace the essentials in them (Penn has got to be the most inexpensive componentry around) and oil/grease them up. Again, not having been on any boat for one whole week at a time, I would think you would want several rigs w/backups as opposed to one rig per line class. While Avets are great (IMO), they ain't cheap....going all Avets with some redundancy would run you "big bucks", even if you got them used. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by mstr fish View Post
    Ricky-Ray n Sansou thanks. (What cortez trip are you doing this summer?)

The reason why I was asking (not to hijack this post) is that I have paid for my trip on the Tony Reyes in May. They say I Need a 40,50 and 100lb set-up. I have none and have been researching on possible set-ups. I have 2 MXJ (Shhh with power pro n P-line) that I used on my 2 day trip last year. I would like to build on that but @ the same time not over do it on this trip either since I have to buy everything down to the line. I do not want to be stuck out there like an idiot either. I would like to @ the very least get 1 of each set-up. Maybe even use my mxj with 30(In place of a 40 set-up)? For fly lining live bait? Thanks again for your input...............fish
    Here's my 2 cents.

First of all I'm jealous that your going on a Tony Reye's trip. I've been wanting to do one of those for some time now. Dam you...##$#$@)@%(.!!!

Ok rant over.

You can use the MXJ for 40 if needed but that would be taking it to the extreme. The JX/LX series reels are designed to handle 40/50# easily. Plus with the JX reels they have more drag stopping power than the MXJ's do.

Consider getting a Shimano TLD 20 2 speed. They run about 200 bucks and will definitely handle 40/50# without any problems. Since your MXJ is spooled with spectra already I would spool it with 30 and fish it as your 30# rig but bring 40# line also so if something happens to your 40# setup you can take the mono out of the mxj and put 40 on there and fish it.

hey Rickey,

what's it cost to have all those reels serviced from avet or do you guys do your own work on them?

I use to send them to the tackle shop I go to but going forward I've been sending them to Alan Tani for service. He does some AWESOME work and is worth every penny.

I use to send them to the tackle shop I go to but going forward I've been sending them to Alan Tani for service. He does some AWESOME work and is worth every penny.
    where's he located?
    does avet have service department, where you can send them to get serviced?

Alan Tani lives in Norther California. I ship my reels to him and then he ships them back to me. You can send your reels to Avet or take it to them directly, they are located in Chatsworth. Avet's address is 9687 Topanga Cyn. Place, Chatsworth, CA 91311. Their number is 877-487-4476. Almost any tackle store that services reels should be able to service Avet's too. If not they would most likely send them back to Avet.

Quote Originally Posted by sansou View Post
    Mstr fish,

I've been eyeballing those Reyes trips for a long time....just haven't been able to rationally justify 1 week off (though my heart tells me to go!). I am planning a long weekend this summer in San Felipe/Puertecitos with the hope of trying my hand at grouper fishing.

I would think the inexpensive way (as compared to buying an HX and a 30) to go about it would be to get a couple Penn Senators/Baja (113's) in both high speed and lower ratio, and spool up 40# and 60# respectively. Likewise, I would think a 6/0 would be fine for the grouper and trolling. Or.....get your FNN friends to lend you their big game stuff!!!

For the price of one Pro 30, you could get several used Penns. Just replace the essentials in them (Penn has got to be the most inexpensive componentry around) and oil/grease them up. Again, not having been on any boat for one whole week at a time, I would think you would want several rigs w/backups as opposed to one rig per line class. While Avets are great (IMO), they ain't cheap....going all Avets with some redundancy would run you "big bucks", even if you got them used. Just a thought.
    Here's my 2 cents.

First of all I'm jealous that your going on a Tony Reye's trip. I've been wanting to do one of those for some time now. Dam you...##$#$@)@%(.!!!

Ok rant over.

You can use the MXJ for 40 if needed but that would be taking it to the extreme. The JX/LX series reels are designed to handle 40/50# easily. Plus with the JX reels they have more drag stopping power than the MXJ's do.

Consider getting a Shimano TLD 20 2 speed. They run about 200 bucks and will definitely handle 40/50# without any problems. Since your MXJ is spooled with spectra already I would spool it with 30 and fish it as your 30# rig but bring 40# line also so if something happens to your 40# setup you can take the mono out of the mxj and put 40 on there and fish it.

Sansou For me it was easy to justify. My fishing life has stunk these past few months due to a failing economy to say the least. As with most buisnesses dollars down we have had to think out of the box by far to figure how to generate revenue. Which this far has worked in a positive direction. The downside is that it is alot of leg work which tranforms into less fishing time. But I have to feed my family first.

Ricky-Ray belive me I rant everyday that I am not able to go fish. Thank God for FNN I am able to drool over all your guys reports.

I want to thank you guys again for your help and here is just some of what I have bought from the Fred Hall Show Thursday................................fish
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG0108.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	10848  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123