Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toyota RAV4 or Honda CRV-4?

Default Toyota RAV4 or Honda CRV-4?

I have almost saved up enough money to get my own car (used), and was wondering if anybody had some input on either of these two cars. What I am looking for is a car that can haul 4 guys plus gear (rods, luggage, food, etc), has 4WD, and is not a gigantic gas guzzler (basically good gas mileage). The reason I chose these two to focus on is that they appeared to fit my criteria while not being too pricey.

I am open to other suggestions as well, given that they can be had for $8000 to $10000 used.

Thanks!

both are great vehicles.Both are also front wheel drive and "4x4" but they aint strong enough for muddin' just light 4x4(ex:ice,light trails).The rav4 is the best choice if you just want those 2...Try to consider a 4runner v6 4x4...about 20-25mpg and powerful and spacious too...or even a tacoma 4x4...

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...039801137.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant...043702980.html

or a tacoma:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/1037999030.html

good luck!

I have a 4Runner Limited, and without using the roof rack, there is no way I fit 4 people in my truck plus gear/coolers for a camp trip. So, if that is what you want in a SUV, don't even bother thinking of the Rav4 or CRV.

On the upside, I've gone places in my 4Runner that many other SUVs get stuck or lack the clearance....it's a nice "small" 4X4 SUV. My 9.5 foot jig sticks fit in it though, so thats a plus, and it tows my 17ft tracker easily. Downsides: Gas mileage on it isn't stellar (maybe 17/19mpg) and it has a smallish gas tank (big drawback if you do Mexico).

I have a 1997 RAV4 which I bought in 1996 and it only has 128k miles. It's for sale if you're interested. LOL j/k. Anyway Rav4's are great cars and plenty of room.

Quote Originally Posted by saintarv View Post
    I have a 1997 RAV4 which I bought in 1996 and it only has 128k miles. It's for sale if you're interested. LOL j/k. Anyway Rav4's are great cars and plenty of room.
    You can put 4 people in your Rav with camping stuff? Daaaaang! I must need skinnier friends! LOL

Agree with Sansou, if your going with 4 guys and all of their rods and luggage you are not going to have enough space to fit everything.

Imagine what you are bringing and then multiple it by 4 and you'll soon realize there's not enough trunk space to fit everything.

Thanks for all the advice. I guess I'll tell my friends to pack light then! Seriously though, as long as it can fit 4 smallish bags, 2 or 3 backpacks (tackle), and has enough room to stick some 9' jig sticks then I'll be fine. Paint balling, if I get into it, may be a problem though.

I am not going to go camping with this. It'll mainly be used to commute to school, drive to local half days trips and overnighters in SD, and go up to Mammoth/local mountains for a little bit of off roading to get to streams/rivers.

How are these cars off road anyway? I have read that they were good, but some 1st hand experience would be nice.

Don't forget to consider the cooler too. That will take up a large amount of space in either car and will severely reduce the amount of stuff you and your friends can pack into the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky-Ray View Post
    Don't forget to consider the cooler too. That will take up a large amount of space in either car and will severely reduce the amount of stuff you and your friends can pack into the car.
    I knew I was forgetting something. I guess if the cooler takes up too much room I can make the guys in the back put it on there laps

You cant go wrong with a Toyota.. I can get you parts or accessories at my employee price.

Let me know

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast