Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Squid Tackle

Default Squid Tackle

I have a Shimano TLD20 with 25lb. line on it and a Shimano Tejera rod was wondering if it would be strong enought for the squidders. I also have a Calais 200DC with 80lb. braid with a Fenwick SaltStik on it so will this be ok too?

I was on for a ride of a life time using 40 lbs Mono. These squids will put up a big time fight. 25lbs is not strong enough.

Take the 25 off the TLD 20....and respool with 30lb...idealy you probably want to back the spool with a spectra and put a 40lb top shot on it...

If the squid aren't too deep you can get away with spooling straight 40.

Calais 200 DC for squid? are you joking?

4. Default

I used Daiwa Saltist 30 High Speed with 65lb spectra + 40lb mono. I barely had enough lines to drop all the way to the bottom. It was at least 500 ft down. The reel held up but just not enough line.

Take your 2 speed with at least 50# + And a baseball bat for a rod... :D \

Fighting belt and rain gear... :thumb:

Ok, it's been a couple or three years since I caught any but the last time I caught any Humboldts I used a Casting rod and a Shimano corsair with 12 pound line on it. Of course, that was from a private boat, I wouldn't use that on a party boat. They really didn't impress me as much of a fight, kinda like pulling up a boot full of water. I can't see how using 40 or 50 pound line would make it any more fun?

i saw some guys in fishermans access today talking about catching giant squids off Newport Pier the last 3 days. They had pictures and everything. might be worth giving it a try, its free and looks like fun.

Depends how deep they are but if there at the surface no need to go that heavy on the line.

I agree with FishDog last week my brother and I slammed em on various setups including.
    Shimano teramar w/ Daiwa Sealine 20 pound test
    shimano crucial w/ luna 20 pound test
    and last but most fun
    med action St. Croix with SPINNING reel loaded with 10 pd p-line. That rod has a backbone ....

If you are on a Moo moo most guys probably wont appreciate the above suggestions :wink:

CHASER