Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelhead

Quote Originally Posted by troutdog View Post
    All the fish I saw stocked had tails, so I kinda doubt it but ya never know...the steelies don't have any spot below the lateral line if that helps at all.

Did you not get in the tourney Kev?

TD
    Nah, I wasn't in the tourny. I thought it would be bad luck.
    Probably wasn't a steelie, but it was one hell of a hard fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    Here, here! My fish had been eating shad. I betcha that a small swimbait would work well, maybe a 3" Big Hammer or the likes.
    Same here. Most of my fish were loaded with 2" shad. Gonna try trollind a shad
    crankbait next time. Maybe even an anchovy colored big hammer.

aaron u are only partially correct about the spots below the lateral line this is true in wild steelhad 99 percent of the time but farm raised steelhead like the ones in irvine as week speak sometimes do have spots below the lateral line especially the bigger ones since the have been raised in pens the kinda adapt to the bottom etc and some have spots my 8.4 for instance had spots below the lat line but was a steelie and 2 of my other 3 fish were steelies too

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    aaron u are only partially correct about the spots below the lateral line this is true in wild steelhad 99 percent of the time but farm raised steelhead like the ones in irvine as week speak sometimes do have spots below the lateral line especially the bigger ones since the have been raised in pens the kinda adapt to the bottom etc and some have spots my 8.4 for instance had spots below the lat line but was a steelie and 2 of my other 3 fish were steelies too
    I knew I should have never listened to what Jimmy was telling everyone!

TD

this is a pic from jimmy aka vineassist in his steelhead preview look at the spots below the lat line

he shooda known better hes holdin this one and it has spopts
    Last edited by Frenchy; 02-18-2009 at 11:06 PM.

those steelies they put in look almost identical to the bows. they arent really like native steelheads. steelheads are supposed to have more length than girth, rainbows have more girth than length. those steelheads have the more silverish colors but are shaped like bows. still pretty lookin fish though. would love to catch some. probably better tasting than the bows too.

Is the main difference between a rainbow and a steelhead the fact steelhead are anadromous?

Default Bingo we have a winner

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Is the main difference between a rainbow and a steelhead the fact steelhead are anadromous?
    They are extacly that,a rainbow that has been to sea and come back.
    How they can call these fish steelies is a farce.
    I go north to norcal or Oregon every year,
    the steelies up there are a completly different looking animal.
    Mike

Well, whether they are different or not....they fight COMPLETELY different than the bows usually stocked. Saturday, I could tell if it was a steelhead or bow when I hooked up. The steelhead ripped 30' of line out while still in the pole holder with the drag set hard. They ended up being about 3 lbs with pink meat. I agree though, I wasn;t used to seeing steelhead with so much green on them.

Quote Originally Posted by mullet View Post
    They are extacly that,a rainbow that has been to sea and come back.
    How they can call these fish steelies is a farce.
    I go north to norcal or Oregon every year,
    the steelies up there are a completly different looking animal.
    Mike

one word...TRUE.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast