Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lagoon Bass and Two Trout Eating Hawks

Default Lagoon Bass and Two Trout Eating Hawks

I decided to hit the Lagoon tonight since the rains are coming tomorrow. I started just north of the fishing pier and worked my way north. About ten minutes in, I get hit but the fish spit the hook about half way in. I cast at the fish a couple of more times and then headed north again. About a half an hour later, I went back to the spot where the fish spit the hook and managed to hook up again. The fish came in at just over 2 pounds.

I was out there for a little under an hour and twice I heard a huge splash and turned in time to see a hawk coming up from the water with a trout. It was an impressive thing to see. I have no idea when they planted trout, but they obviously don’t know enough to get deep enough to stay out of the hawks reach.

It is going to be a wet week, so get out and fish when the sun breaks through.

way to work em. i cant wait to get back out there. what were you throwing?

nice report.

There called Osprey, Or fish hawks

Nice fish....thanks for the invite...

C.C.

J-Bone: I was throwing a 6 inch Oxblood Robo on a dropshot rig.

Captain Castaic: Spur of the moment decision to hit the Lagoon. I'll let you know next time.

Quote Originally Posted by SDDave View Post
    There called Osprey, Or fish hawks
    An Osprey is actually an "eagle". No type of hawk eats fish, but all types of eagles do eat fish. It's the diet that defines the type of bird of prey.

I've seen them catch trout many times. It's quite a thing to see.

Once at Lake Perris about 15 years ago, there was an Osprey with a trout in it's talons that was being chased by a Bald Eagle and that Bald Eagle (which was 3 times larger than the Osprey) was being chased by another Osprey which I assume was the first Osprey's mate. They were screeching alot at eachother as they chased in a big, wide circle around the lake.

Nice bassy you got there Basstaic!
    Last edited by Ambassadorhawg; 02-15-2009 at 08:14 PM.

Whatever kind of bird it was, the thing made a loud splash when it hit. The splash was loud enough to get you to jump a little when it hit the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambassadorhawg View Post
    An Osprey is actually an "eagle". No type of hawk eats fish, but all types of eagles do eat fish. It's the diet that defines the type of bird of prey.

I've seen them catch trout many times. It's quite a thing to see.

Once at Lake Perris about 15 years ago, there was an Osprey with a trout in it's talons that was being chased by a Bald Eagle and that Bald Eagle (which was 3 times larger than the Osprey) was being chased by another Osprey which I assume was the first Osprey's mate. They were screeching alot at eachother as they chased in a big, wide circle around the lake.

Nice bassy you got there Basstaic!
    Don't know where your getting your info, but you don't know what your talking about, Ospreys aren't eagles, you should do a little reseach before you spout off about something you know nothing about...

Quote Originally Posted by SDDave View Post
    Don't know where your getting your info, but you don't know what your talking about, Ospreys aren't eagles, you should do a little reseach before you spout off about something you know nothing about...
    Actually I thought that an Osprey was considered a raptor And an eagle Is just a VERY LARGE RAPTOR

Spouting off Much?

So what is an Osprey exactly? Your confidence in Ambassadorhawg not knowing what he is talking about shows you clearly know what it is so why nod educate rather than just saying "Your Wrong"?

Basstaic, Good job getting the one who almost got away!

Nate
    Last edited by PhisHook; 02-18-2009 at 10:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast