Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Aqueduct lure teqnique- how to

Quote Originally Posted by zack stroud View Post
    so how many arms and legs would it cost for an aqua duct guide trip from the master...just currious =D
    Not sure who ur referring or who this is meant for…

as I am no master…I do what I do and hope for the best, I’ve had more than my fair share of skunks as well…trust me..

I’ve also had a fair degree of success as well but that’s from some hard trials and tribulations…many trips experimenting…paying close attention to what worked and what didn’t…always trying to fill in the blanks as to why….some work out….some do not.

Time on the water equals fish…no matter what water…given the duct can be more challenging than other waters..

I sort of stopped taking people out to the duct as I’ve ushered more than a few people around in my day but it always seems to backfire in some sort of manner where I end up paying a price for helping so unfortunately I do not do it any longer…

I’m real sorry, I really wish I could do more but I end up burning my own bridge in the end..

I can supply advice and so on…That’s what I continue to try to do….that’s about the best I could offer up at this time…it’s not about any money..if I could help and in the end not burn my own bridges…I’d take you there for free…I do try to help the next fellow angler

I hope this reads right and you understand..

If you have some specific questions, feel free to post them up and I’l see if I can shed any light…

Good luck out there,
    Gary
    Last edited by gletemfeelsteelgary; 09-20-2012 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gletemfeelsteelgary View Post

*The Batting strike: this was common when the water was still cold and would occur in between those hard barometer flux we were having.
    There were short stages when the fish fed and this is how those strikes were (again at night)
    I’d be retrieving slowly with my left index finger gently riding in front of the level wind on my Shimano baitcaster mounted on 7 ˝’ crucial graphite rod, this method and gear combo allows you to feel those most subtle variables during a retrieve, a very very very slight “tick” would be all that was felt and an IMMEDIATE strike response was necessary to incorporate the hook set, there were a few fish that I’d hook up on the nose or in the eye, plus many were hooked on the tail hook as well which is far from the normal bite when the fish actually GRABS the lure.
    All that is a clear indicator that the striper were attempting to “KNOCK OUT” the bait and eat it after. They seem to approach the lure and turn HARD on it to swat it, couldn’t say for a fact but that is my assessment, hence why you don’t feel the strike much and the lure isn’t solid in their mouth.
    when this happens should you set the hook right away? or let them take the "knocked out" bait????

Quote Originally Posted by fishermanx14 View Post
    when this happens should you set the hook right away? or let them take the "knocked out" bait????

To answer your question here AND ur question of topwater on the PM..

SET THE HOOK…..fast…instantly NEVER procrastinate….he who hesitates is LOST if you wait to think…it’s too late

HARD AND FAST with conviction…

As I’ve mentioned earlier a few times..ANYthing that deviates from the feel of the lure should be thought of as a strike…that’s why it’s very important to be in tune with how the lure feels normally…

ESPECIALLY in this colder water the stripers metabolism really slows down due to water temps….therefore the strikes become more docile..

NOTE: every single winter strike will not be a “batting strike” the fish go through funk from time to time and this is typically when that occurs…

AS for your Colorado river willow beach topwater strike….if you set the hook and came up nill it most likely wasn’t that you did anything wrong…it’s probably cause the striper “swatted” at it or “swirled” on it as we call it….set the hook if you feel deviation…..keep working the lure through the strike if the fish is not felt…

The important thing to know is: DO NOT stop 90% of the time the striper will lost interest if you stop…it’s sort of the cat playing with the mouse syndrome….if the mouse stops moving the cat loses interest……practice that thought process when fishing ur topwaters and ul see it to be true..

Anyways….good luck…hope this helps : )

Gary

P.S.
    If you were fishing topwater in the Colorado…it’s hard to say 100% cause I was not there but it doesn’t sound like a “Batting” strike….more just a swirl that the fish missed his target

I just joined FNN and I joined because I have just moved to Hesperia Ca and am in walking distance to the duct. I want to thank you for your time, talent and tutoring. I don't have the right gear to land a toad but I do have light trout gear and can land small to medium fish. I don't want to wait for months to get fishing.

So any advice (except don't do it) would be appreciated. Also I am near where the Interstate 15 crosses the duct. From what I read these fish behave like a saltwater fish, swimming up and down the duct foraging for prey. So you never know where your gonna find them. That said is there parts that are legal and close to me that are better than others?

Also what would be a good entry level rod and reel to start saving for? Heck I just wanna go fishin!!!

Thanks brother!!!

Michael-k

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789