Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Hook for striped bass

Default Hook for striped bass

What size hooks are used to catch striped bass? Going to castaic lake wanting to catch one of those bad boys, i have never fished for striped bass. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue View Post
    What size hooks are used to catch striped bass? Going to castaic lake wanting to catch one of those bad boys, i have never fished for striped bass. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
    When dropshooting, I use #2 owner mosquitos. For anchovies and liver on a dropper loop I use 1/0 gamakatsu octopus hooks, and when fishing nightcrawlers on a splitshot or carolina rig, I use a #4 eagle claw offset shank baitholder.

Thx for the tips. Im gonna be fishing from shore w frozen anchovies so how would keep that bait from the bottom since you cant make it float. Once again thx all tips are appreciated

Never mind i just learned the dropper loop knot skyler was talking about, on u tube. What test # line is recommended for striper bass?

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue View Post
    Never mind i just learned the dropper loop knot skyler was talking about, on u tube. What test # line is recommended for striper bass?
    Most of the fight the fish will probably be running toward shore anyways. Stripers give most of their fight at the end. 6-10 pound should do you fine. Sometimes I use 4 pound for flylining nightcrawlers too. Just keep your drag a bit looser than you normally would, cause once you get 'em close to the boat or shore, they will usually make one hell of a run.