Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 ft aluminum outboard up?

Default 12 ft aluminum outboard up?

I am picking up a 12' aluminum boat with trailer and a 9.9 hp outboard. The whole set up is costing me $200. Dude said motor is good just needs a little tune up. In case the motor is crap and I need to buy a different one, what is the biggest engine I can put on it? The boat is welded, not rivited if that matters at all.

on my 14'er it say max 20hp but i have seen the same boat with a 25hp and 30hp

is it a Gregor???

You can most likely put a 15hp or 18hp max on it.It will fly if you do....lol...What kind of motor is it?make/year ??

Not sure yet what the boat or motor is yet. All I know it that it's a 12' welded with a 79 I think Johnson but not sure

seems like a great deal!!Those motors are also very common and parts are real easy to find and tune-up may cost you around $150....Most likely it may need new spark plugs,new lower unit oil,and new impellor....Those motors are pretty good and will push that boat real nice let's say 15-20mph....good luck!If you don't really want to deal with the motor and just buy a stronger one,i'll take it for $100... :-)

A 12 foot aluminum boat will fly with a 9.9 outboard as long as you don't weigh it down with people and gear. I had an Evinrude 9.5 on my little 12 footer and when I fished alone, that thing moved. I could get up on a plane no problem. I also had the 6 gallon gas tank in the middle of the boat. The should be a horsepower rating and weight limit plate back on the inside motor mount area of the boat. Don't expect to keep up with a bass boat, but it will beat a rented boat.

I just picked the boat up today. Its a 77 welded Gregor with a 79 Johnson 9.9. The boat needs some cleaning, new seats and maybe the wooden benches redone. It sounds like the motor is going to need a new impeller, new lower unit oil, spark plugs, and some new fuel lines. The trailer is going to need new tires and the lighting rewired. I had to tow it home with no lights. All in all, not a bad deal for $200. I should have it up and running with a few weeks.

Awesome ! Dude!

that's a super deal at $200.... and it floats!

Well, it looks like i wont be needing a new engine. I changed a few hoses, put in a new impeller, did some work on the trailer and its now almost ready to do. Only thing left if some new wood for the bench seats. Hope the weather works out this weekend. If its not pouring i think ill take it out to Perris. Total for the boat is $400. $200 for the boat itself and around $200 in parts/new tires/fuel tank and lines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast