Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: New reel and rod /reply

Default New reel and rod /reply

Well i want a new setup to do some fishing in and around the Harbor, Bay,surf and peir. Im looking for something to tackle Halibut, Calico Bass ,Perch,Spotties etc. Im looking for a good casting reel and rod any suggestions?

Citica and Compre. Wipe your hands cause you're done...

Quote Originally Posted by troutkiller_21 View Post
    Well i want a new setup to do some fishing in and around the Harbor, Bay,surf and peir. Im looking for something to tackle Halibut, Calico Bass ,Perch,Spotties etc. Im looking for a good casting reel and rod any suggestions?
    That's more like it. Now......What's the most you are willing to spend for your first setup?
    I couldn't afford crap when I first got the bug. That's why I demoted some of my older FW gear to surf gear.
    Also......Do you prefer to use a spinning setup or a baitcast setup?

I like to use my Shimano Sahara 2500 and Compre setup for most of my inshore fishing.

...did you really need to make a second post about the same topic? We were asking for information to point you in the right direction.

Im still not sure what application you want to use ,and what price range,so im going suggest a shimano cardiff 3oo or 2oo with a 7' 6" med heavy 8lb to 14 lb casting rod. Now you have enough left over to buy a sedona 2500 ,and a longer style drop shot rod for lighter presentations. The drop shot is a must in the bays ,and other coastal areas. The casting set up can be used to throw plastics ,hard baits and both can be used for bait and wait fishing .

Quote Originally Posted by PUDD MASTER BAITER View Post
    Im still not sure what application you want to use ,and what price range,so im going suggest a shimano cardiff 3oo or 2oo with a 7' 6" med heavy 8lb to 14 lb casting rod. Now you have enough left over to buy a sedona 2500 ,and a longer style drop shot rod for lighter presentations. The drop shot is a must in the bays ,and other coastal areas. The casting set up can be used to throw plastics ,hard baits and both can be used for bait and wait fishing .
    Very sound advice for an entry level setup that won't break the bank and if you take care of your stuff it will last quite a while. Just make sure to wash the gear off either in the free public showers or bring some water in a bottle. Usually if I wait until I get home.....I get real lazy and that laziness has lead to the death of a few rigs!