Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best swimbait set up??

Default best swimbait set up??

i am looking for a good swimbait set up for myself.i am looking for something not over $125. i dont want nothing big cause i want to chuck some bbz's and matt lures.please give me some suggestions, i dont know where to start.

get a okuma swimbait stick heavy and corvalus. with 25-30lb line

God Bless

basscatcher

$125 for the rod and reel? i'd be looking for something used for that price. when you say you don't want anything "big" do you mean "expensive" , cause those BBZs are about four ounces and you need something pretty "big" to heave them out. i'd be looking at an eight foot rod rated for 20-50lb line and 2-6 oz lures, a good conventional reel, maybe a shimano cardiff 400.

Quote Originally Posted by basscatcher View Post
    get a okuma swimbait stick heavy and corvalus. with 25-30lb line

God Bless

basscatcher
    i second that for the rod!
    great stick for throwin bbz's

Using a 7'6" Heavy Okuma swimbait rod w/ split grips paired w/ last years Quantum Energy PT b/c reel in left hand. The reel has 18 lbs of drag pressure & can hold 150 yds or 12 lb line. I could put either 50 lb braid or 20 lb mono & have quite alot of line. What I like about this setup is the reel is low profile so my hand doesn't get tired casting after a while. Only reason to go w/ a round reel is the line capacity & if that's the case go w/ the Shimano Cardiff cuz it has a recessed reel foot & sits lower than other round reels, so it's just a bit more comfortable to fish w/ all day. I will be using my swimbait setup for light pike/musky fishing here in Indiana this year.

You're not gonna be able to get anything for $125.

I'm no expert swimbaiter, but the setup I have does the job wonderfully.I'd recommend the Shimano Cardiff 400 ($120) with the Shimano Crucial swimbait rod ($150-$170). Total setup is around $285 with tax. I've never thrown swimbaits before I bought this setup, but I'll tell you, I can launch BBZ's with ease.

Rod & Reel?

You're not going to find anything under $250.00 that will comfortably handle a BBZ Trout Swim bait unless it used.

Rod - I use Okuma's and there OK considering their price $109.00...but for a few extra dollars, you can go to Pheonix or Shimano or....

The Okuma's are probably the heaviest of the bunch and will give you a good work out.

I'm into fitness so, I like to use the Okuma's to counteract the 1-1.5 pack cig habit I have.

I'd get too lazy, fishing really light set ups.

Good luck out there

Quote Originally Posted by snag View Post
    The Okuma's are probably the heaviest of the bunch and will give you a good work out.

I'm into fitness so, I like to use the Okuma's to counteract the 1-1.5 pack cig habit I have.

That's awesome, best review of the Okuma SB rods I've heard yet.

Lots of good responses here.

I thought I could find an affordable swim bait outfit and found out the hard way that "you gotta pay to play."

IMO. If you can't spend more than $125 for a swimbait combo...how are you going to afford to buy $40-45 swimbaits. Just wait until you lose that swimbait.

BBZ start at around there. You can find blem punkers for around $35. Any cheaper than that and the swimbaits you're looking at really dont swim that well. At higher speeds they tend to spin and at extremely slow rolling they wobble instead of kick.

Quote Originally Posted by That Dang Guy View Post
    IMO. If you can't spend more than $125 for a swimbait combo...how are you going to afford to buy $40-45 swimbaits. Just wait until you lose that swimbait.
    I've always wondered that.

I've also wondered about the individuals that have a collection of expensive swim baits, but are rolling with half *** gear to throw them. You'd think they would've elected to get a decent setup to handle these baits, instead of buying 5 more Triple Trouts to add to their already extensive collection of baits they haven't caught any fish on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast