Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shimano Japan Vs. Shimano U.S.A

Short and sweet, go the JDM route only if you are truely dedicated and can support the maintenance cost and the temptations (i.e. BassArt handles) offered by premium japanese companies.

The above especially pertains to JDM rods. My friend got a Evergreen Zephyr spinning rod for inshore, and it broke on him. Since the rod is JDM, and he is in America, the warranty does not apply, so he basically spent ~$500 USD for a rod that he was able to use only for 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by SanDimasLMB View Post
    My friend got a Evergreen Zephyr spinning rod for inshore, and it broke on him. Since the rod is JDM, and he is in America, the warranty does not apply, so he basically spent ~$500 USD for a rod that he was able to use only for 2 weeks.
    Ouch.

Did you point and laugh at him?

Ouch. Any idea what kind of warranty Evergreen has on their rods? Is it possible for someone in Japan to send the rod for exchange?

Quote Originally Posted by SanDimasLMB View Post
    Short and sweet, go the JDM route only if you are truely dedicated and can support the maintenance cost and the temptations (i.e. BassArt handles) offered by premium japanese companies.

The above especially pertains to JDM rods. My friend got a Evergreen Zephyr spinning rod for inshore, and it broke on him. Since the rod is JDM, and he is in America, the warranty does not apply, so he basically spent ~$500 USD for a rod that he was able to use only for 2 weeks.
    Haha, Wow. What a sucky fishing trip. I'm pretty sure theres something that
    can be worked out for a $500 rod...

Quote Originally Posted by calico killer kevin View Post
    Haha, Wow. What a sucky fishing trip. I'm pretty sure theres something that
    can be worked out for a $500 rod...
    It just can't. Just because its a $500 rod doesn't mean that it should be replaced for no cost even though the warranty has been voided.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow
    Ouch.

Did you point and laugh at him?
    LOL, I almost CRIED with him!

Quote Originally Posted by That Dang Guy
    Ouch. Any idea what kind of warranty Evergreen has on their rods? Is it possible for someone in Japan to send the rod for exchange?
    Evergreen Japan offers FULL WARRANTY if the owner is in Japan, but the warranty is voided for the usual reasons (i.e. abused, poorly taken care of, etc.) and if the owner is not in Japan, which is the problem for my friend.

My friend and I did think about sending it to my uncle in Tokyo, but we really haven't gotten around to it.

Quote Originally Posted by calico killer kevin View Post
    So since I couldn't go to Irvine today, I decided to go to Bass Pro to pick up
    a few things. Got a 7'6" Bass Pro Microlite trout rod and some other stuff. My
    problem now is whether I should get a 1000 sized Shimano Nasci(Japan) or a
    Shimano Sahara(U.S.A). Both are about the same price, but the Nasci is a
    little more refined and looks nicer, while the Sahara would be easier to service
    or find spare parts. I want to use it for trout fishing(minijigs, dropshot, etc.)
    with 2lb line and I also want to use it for light harbor fishing(small swimbaits,
    light crankbaits, etc.) with 6lb line. I want an extra spool and that is a big
    deal to me. Which would you recommend any why?
    Hey Bud you might want to check the long fin website they have some great on line deals on shimano reels.

http://www.thelongfin.com/shimano-symetre-fi-reels.html

Quote Originally Posted by BULLDOG View Post
    Hey Bud you might want to check the long fin website they have some great on line deals on shimano reels.

http://www.thelongfin.com/shimano-symetre-fi-reels.html
    Symetre is a great reel, but I still think the new Sahara performs better than
    last year's model Symetre(even though the Symetre is a higher end reel).
    Besides, I will never go back to the old, lower end handles.

My dad's line of work sends him to Japan at least once a year and he has a few contacts over there. But since your Uncle lives there, that would be the your best bet. Not to mention you wouldn't need to feel paranoid about who's handling the $500 rod. =p

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12