Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some sort of asian egg roll? Help?

baadfish- Try: 99 Ranch Market as well

KPN - Those rolls look amazing.. Those things are making me hungry! Nice!
    I'm going to have to try this one someday!
    Thanks for the very informative post..
    Off to eat something.. Not as good as those eggrolls...
    Last edited by yamafish; 02-02-2009 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yamafish View Post
    baadfish- Try: 99 Ranch Market as well

KPN - Those rolls look amazing.. Those things are making me hungry! Nice!
    I'm going to have to try this one someday!
    Thanks for the very informative post..
    Off to eat something.. Not as good as those eggrolls...

What is it with Riverside that I have yet to see an Asian market? Or have I just not been looking? Anyhow, thanks for the market tip.....I searched their website and found that they have a market in Chino Hills which is only about a 20 minute drive for me. Heck, I can spend that much time in traffic driving from one side of Riverside to the other. I will definitely be checking them out....thanks again!!!

yes ! lumpia rocks. haha. yeah give 99 ranch a try. i think ive seen some frozen ones there in the freezer section. all you gotta do is fry them up. dont know how good they are though.

Quote Originally Posted by baadfish69 View Post
    Well, I tried to locate one using the web, but here in the I.E., there doesnt seem to be anything as far as markets go. My parents are coming from AZ in a few weeks to vacation in SD, so I think when I go visit them there, I just might look for that market. Thanks for the heads up!
    If your parents live in Phoenix, have them go to Lee Lee's Market on the corner of Dobson & Warner in Chandler. They'll have the vietnamese style egg rolls frozen in a bag, I'm not sure if they have lumpia there though. Slightly different than philipino lumpia but just as excellent in their own way. You fry them up and eat them wrapped in a fresh leaf of lettuce and dip it in Thai sweet chili sauce. Crazy good.

By the way, you've never experienced egg rolls until you've eaten Korean version: "Yaki Mandu".

Quote Originally Posted by sansou View Post
    If your parents live in Phoenix, have them go to Lee Lee's Market on the corner of Dobson & Warner in Chandler. They'll have the vietnamese style egg rolls frozen in a bag, I'm not sure if they have lumpia there though. Slightly different than philipino lumpia but just as excellent in their own way. You fry them up and eat them wrapped in a fresh leaf of lettuce and dip it in Thai sweet chili sauce. Crazy good.

By the way, you've never experienced egg rolls until you've eaten Korean version: "Yaki Mandu".

Hehe....actually they live in Kingman, so thats outta the question. I bought the ingredients today for the recipe that Yama posted, so Ill let everyone know how that turned out. Then I will definitely try the recipe for the Vietnamese ones. Heres hopin I dont jack it up! Stay tuned!

UPDATE:

Well...I tried the recipe Yama posted, and they were a hit! The only thing was that they were a bit salty. With the soy sauce, Im guessing adding the salt wasnt needed? However the flavor was really really good and I do recommend the recipe. The only thing I did different was instead of regular onions, I used green onions and blended them up real fine in a food processor. I used a whole bunch too, and it came out real nice. The ground pork is what I used....and I cant imagine it coming out better by using the ground beef. I think we are going to try a mix of ground beef and ground pork next time just to see. Oh yeah, and I added a few drops of Sesame Oil into the frying oil.

Let me just say...in a house full of picky eaters....these lumpia were a HIT. All gone....the whole batch.....as quick as I could cook em.

Next up is KPN's recipe!

Hey brotha! Its funny you bring this up. I work with alot of Phillipino people and I recently had a lady make me about 100 rolls. They are great, there is a place in Hemet that you can go buy them. Ill get back to you as soon as I get the info.

Shangai Lumpia! Sarap!

my mom is famous for her Lumpia, it's the first to go at parties... unfortunately i don't have that recipe

Im getting pretty good at this Lumpia cooking. I made some more today (my 4th attempt since the original post) and they just seem to be getting better each time. Authentic Asian ingredients definitely are key. I found a small Asian market near my house, and he had a brand of wrappers designed for Lumpia (red package) plus he had the 3 Crabs fish sauce etc etc.....

This is not only satisfying the tummy, but its fun too! My wifes whole family are already demanding the Lumpia at their special occasions and such.

:)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast