Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Properly Cast a Bait Castng rod

Default How to Properly Cast a Bait Castng rod

Hi,

so i got the rod but how do i properly cast it. I only know how to cast spinning rod but im very new to bait casting rods. Do i hold down the unlock before i cast or do i throw and then hold down the unlock?

Push unlock, place thumb on line, cast & release just before you would with a spinner, keep thumb close to line or just barley tuching for beginners and just before it hits the water stop the spool so as not to get a birds nest. Do not spool it full you will have better luck learning wirth fewer birds nests.

Practice in the backyard or the park with some weight on the line before just going for the gusto.

It took me about 2 hrs of casting in the yard to get it I found the side hand was the easiest overhead will get you better distance and the underhand I am still learning.

Good luck

Nate
    Last edited by PhisHook; 01-30-2009 at 08:01 PM.

Oh yeah and welcome to the board!

i still suck at it...

thanks for the advice, im planning to go to yorba park in orange tomorrow to practice. :] what kind of bait should i be using? from my previous thread, it was suggested 3/8 and 5/8 but what brand, type? thank you :]

I would recommend something that floats to start with, because when you get a bird's nest, you'll need some time to sort it out. With a floater, you don't have to worry about it maybe getting hung up on a snag after it sinks to the bottom while you take out the bird's nest... That's how I started anyway

Quote Originally Posted by tucunare View Post
    I would recommend something that floats to start with, because when you get a bird's nest, you'll need some time to sort it out.
    I wish I had thunktididd Of that one! I lost some good ($$) swimmers that way and some rat-l-traps too. Thats Good advice.

Rapalas are good I like them and they produce.

Default baitcaster

bring a good pair of cutters and a extra spool of line lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan C View Post
    bring a good pair of cutters and a extra spool of line lol
    I spooled mine with a good braid, 15lb test and had no trouble untangling it just took some finesse but the worst only took 3-5 minutes

i went to redondo tonight and kind of got a hang of setting the reel. At first it would spool up and tangle the lines in the reel but that was an easy problem to fix. then i got to the point where it doesn't tangle no more. The only problem i had was casting? it did not go very far? I was using sabikis with 1oz weight at the bottom. Tomorrow i will still go to the park and get some bait and practice casting though : ] Thanks everyone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast