Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple lil'uns from the creek 2-7-09

Default Couple lil'uns from the creek 2-7-09

Went up into the hills today in the s2k to see if I could find any fat lil rainbows. I took the weather as a challenge when I woke up, but it proved tough to accomplish my goal.

First spot, as I had anticipated, was flooded out. It was raining pretty good and I stuck it out for an hour anyways with not so much as a nibble, even on a bead head pheasant tail nymph. I know they're there in numbers.. so they must have been hunkered. Decided to leave that spot be and try another.

Ended up driving for an hour and a half to another spot, only to be turned around by the police because I had no chains. I guess the snow level came way down last night! Turned around and back to another spot after another drive..

When I arrived at a third spot, there was snow on the ground but no rain or snow falling. Decided to try it out.

I had never fished this area before. After I finished suiting up my gear it started to pour rain, than began to sleet like crazy hard, than flat out started snowing! I fished completely dry besides my hands though with my waders and rain breaker.

After a while I started to notice little tiny gold flashes bouncing my fly around when I would cast in a fresh pool. I could see fish about 1" long trying to eat my fly! A couple pools later, I caught a 3"er

Then a bunch more a tiny bit bigger up stream some.

Got lucky on that one. Almost got the skunk at three different creeks if it weren't for those tiny little fish. Too much snow and muddy roads to get to any good spots! Never quite accomplished my goal of having a nicer one pull on my 3wt today though. Hope you all hook into some fish on this wacky weather weekend!
    Thanks for reading.
    -TJ

dang dude your brave to go out there in this weather... i was thinkin of going to DVL with full rain gear but wussed out.... nice lil troutcicles haha

Thin rain jacket from walmart = $15
    Simms indestructible (almost) waders = $200
    Tackle Warehouse hoodie = couple bucks with order

Being able to fish in the water, surf, snow, wind, mud and rain = Priceless

Nice goin TJ. I was going to head up to Silverwood and go trolling for striper or see how the trout are biting. This mornings rain talked me out of it. Wound up putting a couple of logs on the fire and tying up some flies for next weekend. Hopefully the creeks will calm down. Went to one place that is a nice flowing stream a couple of weeks ago and saw found a river.

Sean

That's prety hard core. Way to scrape up a few in the elements...

Nice report and some great pics. Way to weather the storm.

Nice job on the little creek guys!

Thanks for the invite dude, but I had to kick it this weekend and relax. Been doing too much the last few. I was seriously tempted to get out and meet you though.

I was wondering how the water would be and I guessed that the snow would come down. I was at another creek in the rain yesterday and the water was way high and opaque tan from the mud/silt. Nada for me. At least you got on some little guys.

Wanna join Skaguy04 and I on the Kern next Friday?

Nice work under tough conditions Casey. I'm hoping that it doesn't rain tomorrow.

balls to the wall tj..... balls to the wall!!!

sick looking fish!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast