Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Species and a Legal Butt, Finally! Vietnamese New Year - Monday 1/26/09

Default New Species and a Legal Butt, Finally! Vietnamese New Year - Monday 1/26/09

So the "Boss" was feeling generous... and/or lazy, and decided to close the stores and give all the employees the day off to celebrate the Vietnamese/Chinese New Year. So I slept in until ten o'clock and decided what's a better way to celebrate the New Year than doing one of the things that I love to do the most... being out in the surf, fishing.

Took a nice leisurely drive over the hill on Kanan to hit one of my favorite local spot. Made the first cast around eleven. The plan is to spend a couple of hours relaxing in the surf and then go have some Pho at my buddy's restaurant.

Conditions: Clear & sunny skies, outgoing tide, moderately rough surf in washing machine conditions, mild on-shore wind, water clarity excellent with lots of annoying loose eel grass.

Beautiful, secluded stretch of beach. No other fishermen in sight, only a few beachcombers and locals taking their strolls.
    I knew that it would be a challenge fishing this area during an outgoing low tide. Natural reef line with lots of underwater structures and boiler rocks to contend with. This is what I call finesse surf fishing.

Started out dropshotting in between submerged boulders wherever I can see a sandy patch.

Water so clear. I can see schools of baitfish darting around and a few predators chasing them, a very good sign.

Ten minutes into it and tap, tap, thunk... the rod loads up... set the hook and the fish is on!

A little shortie... I was thinking to myself, here we go again with the short Butts.

Got a couple more bites but it was too difficult to dropshot with so many underwater structures. Lost three rigs and was tired of re-tying the pain the butt DS rig, so I made the switch to the LC FM110 Skeleton Sardine... it was a good call.

Standing on an elevated rock formation I made casts and worked the LC thru a maze of submerged boulders. The water was crystal clear and I could see the LC wobbling its way thru the underwater obstacle course. It's almost like sight fishing for Halibut, but you couldn't see the fish until it lifted off the sand to strike. If you have never visually witnessed a Halibut LC strike, it's something amazing to see how aggressive these Flatties really are when they're on the chew. I saw a couple of small Flatties shoot up from the sand as the LC was traveling over its head and take a swipe at the lure. Little clouds of sand as they propel themselves upward. One missed and a couple (maybe the same one) turned away at the last second. Then on one cast, I saw a nice size Butt shifted itself and move a few feet to look at the LC as it passed by... I keyed in on the fish as it laid there in the sand in about three feet of water, trying hard not to lose sight of it as the surf washes over it. I lobbed a cast about twenty yards behind it and worked it past the fish again with a slow & steady retrieve... nothing. I made a couple more cast and as the lure went by the fish, it would move slightly towards the LC but wouldn't commit. I reached for my dropshot rod in the 3rd Grip holster only to find that I didn't re-tie the damn thing after the last snap off... forget that. On the next cast, I worked the LC right above the fish and stopped the lure, twitch, twitch... the fish launched straight up and hammered the lure. After the first furious run, I fought the fish to the left, hopped off the rocks onto the beach and worked it onto the sand. I was facing strike three, but was able to get a base hit with my first legal Flat Boy of the year. Now if I don't get another nibble for the rest of the outing, I don't care... mission accomplished!

Continued to work the area for the next couple of hours for two more short Butts and some other species, including a new one for me.

I like working boiler rocks, even though it's quite risky. Lost two LC's today. You never know what's lurking near those big immovable objects.

A surprise catch working the boiler rocks! A weird looking LMB.

New species! I need help identifying this Perch that hit the LC. I did my best to carefully remove the deeply imbedded trebbles, but I hope his upper lip will grow back. I think it's an Opaleye, Buttermouth or Rubberlip Perch, but the tail markings threw me off. Gotta be one of the three I would think. He's a big boy, I didn't measure it but probably around 10 inches.

Fish count (all released):
    (4) Halibut 14" - 18" - 19" - 22"
    (1) Calico Bass
    (1) New species Perch.

Hopefully, getting a legal Hali on Vietnamese New Year is a good omen.

What a fun day, now back to the grind tomorrow. Take care everybody!

Arthur (Wingnut)

"Before you climb the ladder of success, make sure that it's leaning against the right building."

Extras:
    Some local bullies... easy now fellas, I'm just passing through.

Fishing the rocks in rough conditions is challenging. Always keep your eyes on the surf and NEVER turn your back to the sea. Move back to a safe distance from the surf if you need to re-tie or work on your rig. Watch your footing, very slippery.

The 12th Commandment "Thou shall not fear..."

Driving back home on PCH. 2:30pm

Parting shot.
    Look how smart Wingnut Pug is.
    I'm holding a piece of treat in my left hand. While the other two Pugs are staring at the treat, WP is looking right at me. She knows that it's up to me, where the treat goes.
    Last edited by Wingnut; 01-27-2009 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections.

Awesome report as always, Action shots are the best!!

great job out there bro!!! way to put in work on your day off i show my girl the pic of those pugs and now she's asking for one

BTW that perch is a buttermouth
    Last edited by Seng90806; 01-26-2009 at 06:52 PM.

Very very cool Arthur, looks like it was an awesome day to be fishing!!

The bendo shot with the spray is sick! What's nice about the areas you fish is that they tend to look incredible. I have got to start looking for halibut in places without the white sea bag and various other man made trash. Even though you've heard it before, great job on the flatties and on another incredible report!

That comment about losing LCs just reminded me to put my Ultimate Lure Savers on mine. You should look into them since you fish areas filled with lure eating rocks often.
    Last edited by bsp; 01-26-2009 at 06:54 PM.

Kudos!

Wow those spots look so clean and fishy! Looks like the Mediterranean almost with the lack of waves and the aqua clear colors...

That's some good juju getting your legal on Tet!!

Man I can't believe you just let your pluton hit the sand like that LoL do you ever go out and not catch a flattie? haha I hope your having a great new year, I on the other hand made it out but did not get anything but a giant smelt....by the way what test are you using? Congrats on your first legal of the year, a very nice omen with many more flat boys to come.

Keep the reports coming!!!!Nice legal hali.

PureAle

Congrats of your first legal Butt of 09! Pretty good halibut hunting for you today. Awesome pic's!

Thanks for the pics and report very nice legal Arthur.My pug goes nuts for treats he tries to talk to me for them and if i don't give him one he barks at the treats till i give him one lol.You have a cool Dog/Son Arthur.

Bigred

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast