Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Abu Garcia Toro

Quote Originally Posted by surfnfish View Post
    The Toro is a pretty sweet inshore reel. Matched with a swimbait rod, it can fire swimbaits and light irons. It is great in-hand and casts better than any freespinning reel I've ever used(not including DC's). However, if you are thinking about using a low-profile reel offshore, stick with the Curado 300. The Toro just doesn't have the torque to land fish like albacore or yellows. I fished with both this past summer and I'm not denying the Toro in the least. It would be great for freshwater swimmies or fishing inshore saltwater. But when it comes to big game, it just can't hang with the Curado. Hope that helps you make your decision.
    Thanks for the helpful insight.

Older Curado D 300 or newer Curado E 300? Any difference in torque? They have similar line capacity.

Well, honestly I've never fished the Curado 300 E. It does feel awesome in hand though, I think thats it's just because I'm used to the D series 300's and it feels the same. I don't know of any difference in torque, in fact i think the olnly difference is the extra bearing(s) in the reel. I'm not even sure where they are. I do love the new 200 E's though, I fish an E5 and an E7 and if the 300 E is anything like those I'll have to swap out my old 300 D's for the newer upgrades.

Dude the toro will bring in fish easy!!! 22 lbs of drag... i don't know how abu garcia gets that much drag in their low profile reels.

Toro: 22
    Revo Winch: 24
    Revo S: 22
    Revo SX: 24
    Revo STX: 24

They don't. The drags certainly can handle bigger fish, but we've tested out the Toro 50, 60, the Inshore, the STX and the Premier and I don't recall any gettin more than 15 pounds of drag. That is stil certainly enough to handle bigger fish, but what the Toro's lack is the torque. They just aren't as buttery when your really tryin to hammer on big game.

Dude,

That's a lot of money for Garcia!

Sammy

Quote Originally Posted by surfnfish View Post
    They don't. The drags certainly can handle bigger fish, but we've tested out the Toro 50, 60, the Inshore, the STX and the Premier and I don't recall any gettin more than 15 pounds of drag. That is stil certainly enough to handle bigger fish, but what the Toro's lack is the torque. They just aren't as buttery when your really tryin to hammer on big game.
    i had to mess with my revo a bit (carbon fiber drag, mess with the little springy piece under the nut), but now i can pin that thing and it wont move. i turned a huge bat ray in catalina with it. i think it would be fine for albacore, at least im going to try before the deckhand yells at me. but it feels like it would exploded if i had a big yellowtail.

Haha the deckies think its funny when you break out that kind of gear, they laughed at me on one trip last summer until on two separate occasions I hooked fish with my Curado on the slide and had them boated before the troll fish. I think to put an end to everything its all a matter of opinion, I felt that the Toros don't get enough POWER/TORQUE it gets plenty of drag. I personally prefer the Curado but I know several others who feel differently.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12