Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: President Barack Obama

Be careful what you wish for!!

Alarm Bells Ring- Key Obama Job Goes to Animal Rights Supporter
    Harvard Law Professor to Head Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs
    1/20/09

The new head of a federal office with review authority over all agency rules has an extensive record supporting animal rights and even calling for the banning of hunting. This raises the possibility of pro- hunting, FISHING, and trapping rules being deep sixed before they ever get a chance to move forward.

The new head of the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs (OIRA) will be law professor Cass Sunstein. Picked by President Obama from his perch at Harvard, Sunstein’s long time positions on animal rights immediately ring alarm bells for sportsmen.

Sunstein has been an unyielding advocate for the animal rights movement. He has written extensively on the subject and shown a strong dislike towards hunting, going so far as to say that “we might ban hunting altogether, at least if it’s sole purpose is human recreation.” He also has suggested that it makes sense to begin “allowing suits on behalf of animals.” As the editor of a well known 2004 book on animal rights, Animal Rights: Current Debates and New Directions; he compiled legal arguments made by numerous leaders of the movement. You can read some of Sunstein’s thoughts on animal rights by Clicking Here.

The concern over Sunstein’s views stems from the authority he will have as the head of the OIRA. While few people have ever heard of it, the OIRA has significant power over regulations coming from federal agencies.

A part of the federal budget office, the OIRA has been given extensive authority to perform data based cost/benefit analyses of all new federal regulations. Though not allowed to issue opinions on the merits of any proposed regulations, the OIRA can block rules if it considers the supporting data not strong.

It requires little imagination to envision an ardent opponent of hunting finding numerous technical reasons to put the kibosh on pro-hunting regulations for years to come.

The USSA will continue monitoring these developments.
    Last edited by fndaway66; 01-21-2009 at 12:26 PM.

I didnt vote for him. Wish him the best. I am a bit scared with the lack of checks and balances that he will have. Some crazy stuff once thought impossible to get to happen can happen due to the lack of checks and balances. He needs to fix the BCS as well.

All aboard the Obama bandwagon...

I for one, will wait 180 days before climbing on. You can tell a lot from a President by what he can do in his first 6 months in office.

I wish him the best of luck... he's going to need it.

I don't expect anything positive for a good, 8 years.

Kinda hard when you're handed off a structure that is burning to the ground, and you're expected to save it.

Quote Originally Posted by fndaway66 View Post
    Be careful what you wish for!!

Alarm Bells Ring- Key Obama Job Goes to Animal Rights Supporter
    Harvard Law Professor to Head Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs
    1/20/09

The new head of a federal office with review authority over all agency rules has an extensive record supporting animal rights and even calling for the banning of hunting. This raises the possibility of pro- hunting, FISHING, and trapping rules being deep sixed before they ever get a chance to move forward.
    Yeah, I can imagine lots of lawsuits going forward due to this appointment.

Obama has never fished or hunted in his entire life.

Good thing that the Supreme Court finally ruled that the 2nd Amendment guarantees an individuals right to keep and bear arms.

I hope that President B. Hussein Obama doesn't make too many waves.
    And also that things don't get too much worse while he is in office.

OBAMAS PRESIDENT OH YEAH, OH YEAH!!!

Presidential inaugaration 170 million dollars. Stock market drops 338 points to below 8000. I would like to see a president that try's to save some money. Instead of expecting all of us to pay more taxes to make things fly. My 2cents

Quote Originally Posted by fishermanwife View Post

OBAMAS PRESIDENT OH YEAH, OH YEAH!!!
    HAHAHA!!!!

thats funny.

Quote Originally Posted by exfactor View Post
    Presidential inaugaration 170 million dollars. Stock market drops 338 points to below 8000. I would like to see a president that try's to save some money. Instead of expecting all of us to pay more taxes to make things fly. My 2cents
    No kidding, huh?

I suppose you all feel Bush was doing a better job than what Obama has the potential of doing? Mccain would have been another Bush in office.. Obama is by far the better choice of the two. I am excited for the new change.. Remember change does not happen over night.. This will take years for Obama to fix the screw up Bush left behind.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast