Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple tries at Silverwood

Default Couple tries at Silverwood

Saturday January 17th, 2008

I got to the lake pretty early, around 7, and paid my dues (which it was good to see a line of cars because everyone was paying). It took me about 30 minutes to get the pontoon setup, and I hit the water around 7:30. That day wasn't so much about catching fish (although I did want to), it was more of a test with the new swimbait set up. I finally settled in one area near the pumphouse. I threw out the BBZ i fairly shallow water, maybe 15 feet, to try deadsticking it. While that was sinking, I threw out some Rainbow Powerbait on my other pole to see if the trout wanted to play. As I go to reel up the BBZ, SNAG!!!! Man I was so pissed. After about 5 minutes of messing around with it, I finally pulled it out of whatever it was stuck on, then, somehow, it gets stuck on my anchor line. SO I had to pull up all the gear, head to shore, and get the BBZ unhooked. After that mess, I went over to Miller Canyon to go see about some trout. I saw a few caught, nothing big, but I did see quite a few holdovers swimming around. I fished Miller and Cleghorn to no avail. So, I ended my 6 month skunk-free streak. Oh well! It was a nice day out, so I couldn't complain about anything. Here's some pics.

I've been fishing Silverwood for the past 5 years and this is the first time I saw a Bald Eagle.

Looking towards the marina around 11. The water was pretty much glassy until 1.

A little choppy, but tolerable.

Sunday January 18th, 2009

I was going to get up early again, but I went later on in the day instead. I arrived at Cleghorn around 2 and setup a pole with powerbait and another with a droshotted powerworm. Talk about slow. The last few times in Cleghorn I didn't see a single fish caught. So I worked the powerworm for a few hours with no luck. I left out the powerbait while I worked the BBZ off of the dock. No followers whatsoever, but I am getting the hang of tossing the big baits. Around 5 I decided to quit on the swimbaits and just work the powerworm. I must have thrown about 3o casts when I finally got a hit. Fish on! I landed a nice purple and pink rainbow. The sun was leaving our hemisphere about 5:30, so I hit the road!

The wind was on and off.

My 1st attempt at an underwater shot. The only problem with flash is that the light reflects off of every little particle in the water.

2nd attempt. The only problem is without flash, you need a steady hand. Keeping a steady hand is hard to do in 45 degree water.

On the cutting board. She was a tough fish. She survived on the stringer for 1 hour, but also survived a 10 minute ride to my house.

There was a reason she had a belly.

That's a cool pic of the bird... Don't see that every day

Cool pics, sure deflated that fish!

trout got a lipo.nice bald eagle pic!

PureAle

Is that trout row any good as bait?

Quote Originally Posted by sidified View Post
    Is that trout row any good as bait?
    I've heard that roe is killer with trout. I just don't know how to cure it.

That stuff is awesome, i dont cure it though, i dont know how, i put it in a ziploc, and put it in the freezer, and on a slow fishing day thaw it and throw it out in front of you, and "HERE THEY COME" I use it as an attractant to spark the bite, save that stuff!!

any signs of striper around? Great job on the trouts

Quote Originally Posted by Seng90806 View Post
    any signs of striper around? Great job on the trouts
    None whatsoever. I even threw some chovies and no bites.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Santana View Post
    That stuff is awesome, i dont cure it though, i dont know how, i put it in a ziploc, and put it in the freezer, and on a slow fishing day thaw it and throw it out in front of you, and "HERE THEY COME" I use it as an attractant to spark the bite, save that stuff!!
    I'll remember that next time I catch a trout with roe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast