Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2 stroke or 4 stroke

I believe the Tohatsu engines are Nissan engines without the branding. They are meachanically the same thing, but are priced way cheaper.

ok so overall Im assuming a 2 stroke is better??

does dvl allow newer 2 strokes or is it just 4 strokes period? :?

Thanks,

johnsfishing

Quote Originally Posted by johnsfishing
    does dvl allow newer 2 strokes or is it just 4 strokes period? :?
    johnsfishing
    This is from the DVL website:

Boats with four-stroke or direct fuel injection two-stroke combustion engines are allowed, as are two-stroke engines that comply with the California Air Resources Control Board 2001 or later model year spark ignition marine engine standard (or U.S. Environmental Protection Agency 2006 equivalent). This rule will be strictly enforced and any questions regarding your engine compliance should be resolved prior to entrance into the park.

One_Leg

thanks One_Leg! 8)

johnsfishing

Default 2 stroke direct is the way to go

for the gent stating 2 stokes have worse fuel efficiency please take a look at http://www.bwbmag.com/output.cfm?id=1122463 also the Verado 4 strokes have been dropped from a 3 star rating to a 2 star rating in california emissions standards which mean the optimax is the same as the 4 stroke verado and the opti pro xs is better on emissions. the speed and weight are hands down 2 stroke (lighter better acceleration) this is of course if you are in the market for a newer 2 stroke

how much do you guys think a 2 stroke, 50 HP, that is DVL approved cost?

johnsfishing

Yamaha 50 HP 4-stroke list price is around $4,800. I would imagine the Honda is close.

The new 4-strokes get a premium price.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by peterl
    Yamaha 50 HP 4-stroke list price is around $4,800. I would imagine the Honda is close.

The new 4-strokes get a premium price.

Pete

thanks peter

I bought a 150HP 4 stoke cuz it came with it, and I was looking for resale value as well. Two strokes in Cali, their days are numbered.

Quote Originally Posted by gnfshn
    I bought a 150HP 4 stoke cuz it came with it, and I was looking for resale value as well. Two strokes in Cali, their days are numbered.
    gotta be the most ignorant quote i've ever read.....the newer 2 strokes burn as clean or cleaner than some of todays 4 stroke motors. example mercury verado has been dropped to 2 stars in the california air research board while the optimax pro xs maintains at 3 star standards

dude get your facts straight and educate yourself, don't rely on a sales person to feed you bull to sell you a boat.....he obviously had the boat in the lot and needed to unload it. take a look at the resale values of bass boats with 4 stroke and new 2 stroke direct injection and decide for yourself.....here read this post
    http://www.randlmarine.com/true%20story.htm

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast